Out at Midnight

Story

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
240 replies to this topic

#41 starburststrata

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 200 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

I agree with Cindy-pregnancy drama totally rocks. Awesome story!
Lazlo Curious is my homeboy.

Ripp Grunt+Phineas Furley=Lurve <3

If you're being run out of town, get out in front and make it look like a parade.

#42 Lindsay_1

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

I was holding my breath there for a second, I was thinking the girl was going to be Dagmar or something. Whew, glad its not! Way to go Andi!!

#43 Audrey May

Ageless Woman

• 924 posts
  • LocationI'm right here! Can't you see me?!

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

Andi is so cute! I wish he had Georgi's personality.

#44 Rosannauk

on probation

• 108 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

lol very good cant wait for the next update
:rah:

The Ashford Legacy and Family Tree - Beaitufully made By Biamigueis
Where will the ball lead for Samantha?
X..Sparkling Sapphire..X -Chapter 1: Part 2 is done!
My Friends: Amanda/Niki/Roba/Mary/Candy/Ashley/Britch /Sazor/Lemon/Lewis
Adele/Kath

#45 Kesal

Friendly Townie

• 720 posts
  • LocationBeantown

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:14 PM

Andi is so cute! I wish he had Georgi's personality.

I think that Georgi's pretty cute, himself.

#46 spladoum

Scheming and dreaming.

• 4,829 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

Dear Georgi, (1)

Thank you so much for the soup. You're very sweet to be thinking of my health for me...I know, a doctor should take better care of herself, right? Whatever's going on is chronic, though, so I guess it's not flu or food poisoning. Hopefully I'll get over it soon. See you this weekend.

Love, Dagmar

I pocketed the lightly-perfumed note, smiling to myself, and went back into the house, calling, "Matt, you want some lunch?" There was no answer and I already knew Andi was passed out upstairs after yet another hot date, so I made a batch of chili con carne (extra pimentos and garlic, please) and ate it alone whlie listening to the news.

There was a knock at the front door.

I peeked out of the kitchen window while dropping the bowl in the sink, not quite wanting to believe my eyes as I looked at an older woman with smooth dark skin and long silver hair. That was Marsha Winchester out there! Didn't she and Matthew break it off? What was she doing here?

"Hello," she said when I opened the door, looking a little surprised, and a lot nervous. "You...you're Lieutenant Nelville, right?"

"That's right." I didn't realize we had been formally introduced.

"We haven't met--my husband talks about you a lot. He--may I come in?" I stepped back to let her in, suddenly realizing that it was probably close to 100 degrees out there. Even so, she hadn't even broken a sweat. "He mentions you all the time over dinner...I think that he's hoping to have you take over for him after he retires."

"Chief Winchester's retiring?"

"Well, he is 64, and he's been a cop since 25." She smiled, more to herself, but my ears tingled anyway. Have I ever mentioned that Marsha Winchester is beautiful? Not that it matters...I don't go in for Romantics. "...but I was hoping to see Matthew--is he here?"

"Is that a good idea, Mrs. Winchester?" It was out before I could even remind myself that it wasn't my business. Not for the first time, I was grateful that I couldn't blush. She noticed my mortification and graciously looked away.

"Perhaps not...but I'd like to see him all the same."

"What is it, Marsha?" Matthew surprised us both--he had been standing in the hall unnoticed. She went straight over to him, taking him by one bare arm and leading him back into his room.

I went upstairs to the den, nauseous. Maybe she had missed it, but I saw Matthew's fangs grow longer as soon as they made eye contact. Whatever was going to happen, I didn't want to be around for it.

"Mr. Nelville?"

The couch rocked as Mrs. Winchester sat on the other end. I didn't look at her. "Yes, ma'am?"

"It'd be nice if you'd at least face me...there. You seem a little concerned about me being here. Is there a reason why?"

I didn't answer. What was I going to say? My roommate practically assaulted you two months ago? It really doesn't look good for the wife of the Police Chief to be in a house with three single men? I already know that you flirt with everything on two legs with a Y chromosome?

"...Matthew's been trying to bite people lately."

She laughed. "I know. His fangs popped out a few times while we were talking. It's his time of the year. Anyway. If you're uncomfortable with me coming over uninvited, I'll call first. I just needed to talk with Matthew because he's going to be at the same party with me tonight. And speaking of which, he'll be at the Officers' Ball in two weeks. Are you coming?"

Of course I was coming. It was an Officers' Ball, right? I was an officer...I'd be there.

"Well, I'd better get home. Lincoln will be getting off from work soon--" and once again, something about her face bothered me. Maybe it was the look in her eyes at the moment, maybe it was the offhanded way she mentioned her husband. Maybe I was just annoyed that she wasn't actually flirting with me and I was having dirty thoughts about her anyway. In any case, I offered her a ride home, and when she politely declined, walked her to the door and wished her a good evening.
Permanently Sunset -- closed.
An ending is just another day's beginning.

Looking for more to read? I have more stories to tell ...
come visit.

#47 Audrey May

Ageless Woman

• 924 posts
  • LocationI'm right here! Can't you see me?!

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

I am starting to like Matthew. :)

#48 fizz bomb

Trashcan Kicker

• 350 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

Maybe I was just annoyed that she wasn't actually flirting with me and I was having dirty thoughts about her anyway.

Hm Georgie :tug: :tug: :tug: you are the one we women trust :rofl: :rofl:

#49 Rosannauk

on probation

• 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

hmmm lol i wonder wot georgi will do when he finds out dagmar is preggers!!!!

The Ashford Legacy and Family Tree - Beaitufully made By Biamigueis
Where will the ball lead for Samantha?
X..Sparkling Sapphire..X -Chapter 1: Part 2 is done!
My Friends: Amanda/Niki/Roba/Mary/Candy/Ashley/Britch /Sazor/Lemon/Lewis
Adele/Kath

#50 spladoum

Scheming and dreaming.

• 4,829 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:28 AM

"I love you so much, Georgi."

"...mmm...Dagmar, honey, these are bad thoughts you're givin' me." (1) But neither of us minded much; she knew that I liked holding her close and squeezing her hard, and at 1 a.m., no one was around to scold us for our disgusting public affection. "Come in a little closer."

"Not too much closer to come," she murmured in between kisses. "Why don't we go to your place and...pillow fight?"

Hell, why not? "Just let me stop and buy a few things from the store. Andi wanted some more beer and Matt's out of tomatoes."

We walked around the corner to the tiny grocery. Ms. Patel waved hello to me and I smiled at her. I'm actually the reason that her store is open at this hour; I used to come running in right before she closed and have to beg her to unlock the door. She finally just started keeping the shop open two hours later. "George, I order the liquor you want, m'dear. It is in the cabinet to your right."

"Thanks, Ms. Patel." I picked up three cases of Manuelenschweitser (impossible to say but damn good to drink), five beeksteak tomatoes, and lots of ramen for myself. I still love to eat the stuff. Dagmar laughed. "Silly man, on your salary, you're still buying ramen noodles? I'm gonna come over and fix steak and potatoes for you." She smiled at me and ran her fingers down my cheek.

"Oh!" a female voice screeched from a corner of the store. (2) "So this is why I can't find you anymore, huh?" Jeannie Wade came stomping over and shoved me. "I've been calling you for about a month and you don't even have the decency to call back! And the next time I see you, you're messing around with some fat b--"

She didn't get the chance to finish before Dagmar jumped on her, screaming. (3) Ms. Patel shouted at me to do something. What was I supposed to do? They'd rip me limb from limb. I stayed out of it.

It wasn't long before Dagmar threw Jeannie on the floor, hissing, "Make sure you can back up all that crap you talk the next time you open your mouth, lady." Jeannie didn't have much to say as she ran out of the store.

Ms. Patel was very upset. I tried to calm her down as I paid for the groceries, but she was inconsolable. She was an old woman...she just wanted to run her business without all this fuss and bother...the town was becoming dangerous...even the police could not be relied on. Did I want my receipt?

Dagmar and I didn't really talk on the way back to my place. I mean, watching her beat the tar out of someone else kind of killed it for me. Besides, by the time I got her home, she was puking again.

"Dagmar..." I said from outside the bathroom. "Don't you think you ought to see a doctor about this?"

A click told me that she had unlocked the door, and I peeked in to see her sprawled against the wall, breathing hard. "I've seen a doctor about it. I just didn't want to admit it." She looked at me, her eyes full of tears. "George, I'm pregnant."

I didn't realize how long I hadn't spoken until she finally said, "Aren't you going to say something? Are you mad?...or sad?...or what?"

"Whose baby is it?"

She couldn't have looked more outraged if I had hit her. "George! It's yours! Whose baby would it be?"

"...Dagmar, I'm a zombie. I'm sterile."

"Well, I haven't been with anyone else." Her face was still red, but she was looking less embarrassed, and more angry. "And how do you know you're sterile? You already told me you're not like the average zombie."

I just barely heard the end of her sentence. I was on my way out of the house.

"Georgi!"

come visit.

#51 Lindsay_1

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 256 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:55 AM

I wonder where he's going?

#52 - lil g -

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:25 AM

Where is Georgi going? He cant leave Dagmar! Its his baby! :(

#53 cindyanne1

Strangetown Mistress

• 1,574 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

OOOOOOOHHH...I totally LOVED this update!!! :rah: :rah:

Poor Georgie! Thinks he's sterile...I mean, ya can't blame the guy for doubting, right? And I loved the action shots, too...went so well with the story...I dunno how you set all that up but kudos!

(bouncing on chair waiting for the next update!)

Hugs
Cindy
"The Road To Nowhere Leads To Me" -- Ozzy Ozbourne
My Stories: Far Away/Poison's Bend/Pale Horse Riders/To Fear the Dawn
For a laugh, read my Strangetown Asylum Challenge!
My Legacy: Standish/The Standish Family Tree
And if you play in Strangetown, come join us on this thread and talk about it!!

#54 spladoum

Scheming and dreaming.

• 4,829 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

Dagmar stumbled after Georgi, but by the time she got down the stairs, the Audi was pulling away. She stood there, disbelieving. Crying.

"H-h-how could he?" she sobbed, turning to the man who had come up behind her. She threw her arms around him, and Matthew, while surprised, held her close. He had to push her away when his fangs began to throb, though--they were extending.

"Dagmar."

She looked up at Matthew, wet stains covering her face. "I love him so much--how could he think I would cheat?"

"Dagmar, you do not understand. He has believed all his life that he can not have children. He has not been able to have good relationships with women. Now you come to him and tell him that you are pregnant. What do you expect him to believe?"

"I expect him to believe that I meant it when I said that I loved him! I expect him to trust me! He said he loved children--I expected him to be happy!"

"He is afraid," the Count said in a low voice. Dagmar hid her red face in her hands (1) as he continued, "Sometimes, you want something for so long that you will not believe that you have it. Give him time, Dagmar. He will come around."

"Do you--do you really think so?"

"I do."

With those words, they separated--he, to his job as a DJ (2), and she, to bed. Alone. (3)

Two days crawled by. Then four. It eventually turned into a week...and Georgi had not returned.

Dagmar grew increasingly depressed. She had of course taken a sabbatical from medical school, and she was faced with the gloomy prospect of telling her parents that she was pregnant and unwed. No job in town was going to hire a woman three months pregnant, and she was running out of money.

"You may stay here," Matthew told her when she finally found courage to tell him what was happening. "If you choose to, of course."

She stayed, getting better acquainted with the Count and Andi. It wasn't long before she wanted to be friends with both of them, and they responded to her: Matthew, because he enjoyed getting to know new people, and genuinely felt for this poor girl who really had nowhere else to go; and Andi, because...he was just Andi. (4) He seemed to be especially fond of following her into the TV room and turning on some obnoxious game while she was trying to study anatomy.

After the fifth time that he bumped their knees together and pretended it was an accident, Dagmar snapped the book shut and glared at him. "Do you get off on being a pinhead?"

"Sometimes," he drawled. "Depends on how annoyed the girl gets. You mad at me?"

"Yes!"

"Then I'm happy." He laughed so merrily that she couldn't stay mad, and she joined in. "Sit down for a minute."

"Andi, don't you have a girlfriend?"

"Who told you that? You shouldn't listen to rumors..."

"You're always around someone, though--"

"I have girls, and I have friends. Not quite the same thing." He stood up, flexing and smirking as she rolled her eyes. "I'm getting a beer. You want one?...oh, whoops, guess not. Sorry." He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Um. How much further you got to go?"

"S-six months."

They didn't look at each other.

"Lieutenant."

"Yes, Dave?" I tiredly pushed myself upright. Sleeping at the precinct wasn't the best idea, but I just couldn't go home...not now.

"Phone call on line 3, sir."

"It's Georgi, Dave..." I tried to wake up on my own and failed. Coffee time. "It's not Jeannie, is it?"

"Sounded like a man."

Neither Andi nor Matthew called my line directly, and they hadn't been calling my cell at all, recently. Wonder who this could be... "Lieutenant Nelville speaking."

"Lieutenant! It's Chief Winchester. You're due for an annual review in two days, so keep your nose mighty clean...they're looking to promote."

"Yes, sir."

We made small talk for a while longer, but my brain was moving in a steady groove. Chief Winchester. Mrs. Winchester. Matthew. Secret lovers. Romantics. Scandals.

...Dagmar.

"...thank you, Chief. Have a good day."

come visit.

#55 waverly

Lizard

• 727 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Sounds to me like Andi's got a thing or two to tell Georgi.
Posted Image

#56 cindyanne1

Strangetown Mistress

• 1,574 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

Andi, you better stay away from Georgie's woman! :tug: :lol:

Loved this update...can't wait for more! :D

Hugs
Cindy
"The Road To Nowhere Leads To Me" -- Ozzy Ozbourne
My Stories: Far Away/Poison's Bend/Pale Horse Riders/To Fear the Dawn
For a laugh, read my Strangetown Asylum Challenge!
My Legacy: Standish/The Standish Family Tree
And if you play in Strangetown, come join us on this thread and talk about it!!

#57 Seraph01

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

Andi, you better stay away from Georgie's woman! :tug: :lol:

I suspect that Andi's actually the safest person she could be around. Despite everything, he does come accross as having a decent sense of honour, especially where family is concerned.

What can I say? I like Andi. :)

Thunder rolled...it rolled a six.

The Coven Legacy: A Legacy Challenge...with Vampires

#58 - lil g -

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

I doubt Andi will do anything with Dagmar, he loves his brother Georgi..
I just want Georgi to return.. :(

#59 starburststrata

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 200 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

Andi, Andi, Andi...... :tug:

I can't wait for your next update!
Lazlo Curious is my homeboy.

Ripp Grunt+Phineas Furley=Lurve <3

If you're being run out of town, get out in front and make it look like a parade.

#60 spladoum

Scheming and dreaming.

• 4,829 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

"Congratulations, Lietuenant." Chief Winchester himself was seated across from me as I carefully packed my desk into a box. "I knew that you'd pass with no problem. You ready to begin SWAT training?"

"I think so." I had the physical scheduled for next week, and I was going to change my weight-training routinue on Friday...that'd be as good as a time as any to begin a new workout.

"...Nelville, you okay?"

"I'm fine." But I wasn't. It was in my shaking voice and in the tears running down my face and in my trembling hand. Which happened to be holding a framed picture of me and Dagmar.

"Son, sit down." I sat. "You've been camping out in the locker room and mumbling in your sleep for about two weeks now. And maybe it's none of my business, but I'd like to know what's going on."

Now, I like to think that I'm a fairly nice person. But I'm not above being a jerk when the mood hits. And I was certainly tempted to tell him that he'd better figure out just how friendly his wife could be before he started handing out relationship advice. But I didn't, instead mumbling about how the woman I loved was pregnant with another man's child and how the other woman I loved was pregnant with another man's child and how the other woman I loved was in love with my self-centered roommate.

"...so wait a minute. Which of the three are you actually in love with, Nelville?"

"I love them all! I want them to be happy! I just don't know why it can't be with..." I had to stop for a minute to catch my breath. "...with me."

"You didn't answer me, Nelville. I didn't ask if you loved them. 'Course you love them. I asked which of the three you're in love with. Which one makes your day better every time you see her? Which one are you willing to live your life for? Which one can you not live without?"

I went to Hot Dog Haven on the way home and ordered a kielbasa dog with all the trimmings. The manager-on-duty gave me a dirty look as she counted back my change. I gave her an euqually nasty stare and she swished off to the back, muttering. I watched the cooks the whole time to make sure that no one spit in my food. Jeannie was nowhere in sight.

Driving up to 4002 Parker Road felt strange. Not much had changed...Matthew had sold that god-awful Packard and bought a classic Mustang convertible. But nothing felt familiar or comfortable now. I stuck my key in the door, half-afraid that they might have changed the locks.

The door opened.

Andi was on the other side, headbanging with his MP3 player. He stopped when he saw me.

"...hey."

"...hey."

There was an awkward moment of silence before he continued, "...what are you doing here?"

"I live here."

"Really? I couldn't tell. You haven't paid bills since last month."

"I mailed the checks home, Andi."

"...oh. Brooke!" he shouted, and Brooke Gray came out of the living room, still blonde, still wearing a skintight leopard mini-dress, still adoring Andi with her dark blue eyes. "Yes?"

"Do me a favor and get the mail," he said, and went back to his song.

She returned, carrying at least two weeks worth of mail in both hands, dropping letters and bills. I helped her pick them up, and our hands touched. She looked slightly embarrassed, and gave me a shy smile.

I suppose my reaction wasn't quite what she was expecting, because when I didn't stutter or attempt to hold her hands, the corners of her mouth dropped a bit, and the look in her eyes changed. Less cutesy, more confused.

"You okay, Georgi?"

"Yeah, just trying to solve a problem."

"Oh." She began to arrange the stacks of envelopes into three piles, sparing me another glance. "Well, I hope you get it worked out."

"Oh, I have."

I went upstairs to my old room, only to find that the door was locked. I almost knocked before remembering that I knew how to jimmy a lock. One swipe of my old bank card, and the door opened.

She was there, sleeping fitfully, squeezing a pillow to her chest. Even through the comforter, I could see her belly--rounded with...

I couldn't even bear to think it.

She began to cough, and without thinking, I rubbed my hands in slow circles on her back until her breaths became calm again. She didn't wake up, but I distinctly heard her say, "Georgi."

I looked at her for a long time.

I still didn't like red hair. I still wished that she would wear a little more makeup. The idea of her pregnant was still tearing me apart inside. But damn it all, I was going to stay with her. I was going to make it work...hell or high water. Settling down onto the other side of the bed (1), I watched her restlessly roll over before winding my arms around her and burying my face in her hair.

"Honey, I'm home."

come visit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users