Photo
- - - - -

READ THIS - Answers about playing multiple families and saving story progression

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
151 replies to this topic

#1 ruca614

House Party Crasher

• 129 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Mod Edit: I have merged all the related family/story progression threads into one thread as the question keeps being asked and the answer has been mentioned here.

I'm hoping this didn't happen to anyone else- Tuesday when I got the game, I created two roomies, moved them in, decorated their house, etc... At the end of the night I wanted to check out my simmie's boss' house and his family, so I went to play his family for a bit, then exited and saved.
Wednesday, when I went to go back to my simmies, they were in the lot bin, no house, no jobs, etc... I think when I saved at the boss' house, it erased what i did at the Simmies' house? I guess I was thinking like it was TS2, where you could go back n forth between houses.
Can someone tell me what to do so that I don't lose my work again? I read something about 5 different save lots- does this mean you have to save different versions of your neighborhood for each family? I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and can help clarify this for me.
TIA

Basically, how do you play more than one household in the neighborhood?

#2 Sharon S

Team Mascot

• 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

Ok so when it took me a minute to figure this out also. whille you are playing a family you have to go to Options...Edit Neighborhood...then when it takes you to neighborhood view you have to click a little button that says change household... You will loose your wishes (this dosent bother me they always come back again). Then you get the option to play another lot or move another family. Took me a minute to figure out how to get both the family's i wanted to play in the same neighborhood.

#3 mappam

Alien Abductee

• 3,110 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

This sounds like the Story Progression BUG.

With the Story Progression not working when you leave a household it becomes sort of NPC in nature...And does its own thing.

When a patch fixes this problem (as far as I understand how it is Suppose To Work) if Story Progression is OFF then the rest of the neighborhood doesn't change - only the family you are playing at that time.
Huggs - Oma Pam - I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

S2HBAA, S3HBAA & TSRAA Member

Mappam's MiniSite

#4 Sharon S

Team Mascot

• 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

if you make a family move them in. then save and start a new game you will be in a different hood than the family you just moved in so in neighborhood view the family you just moved in will not be there. you have to go through options... edit neighborhood to place another family in the same neighbor hood. it works you just have to figure out the steps to get you there at first i was thinking that you could not move more then one of your cas families into the same neighborhood but you can. I have played for 10 hours at least i have not had either one of my families move away ( hope it dosent happen) right now i only have two of my cas families in my hood. I check in periodically on the Bachelors and the Langeraks??

#5 ruca614

House Party Crasher

• 129 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone for helping.. so just to be sure (I don't want to decorate their house AGAIN!) if I want to play another family other than my simmies, I go to edit town, then click the little house icon and change households? I'm fine with the wishes going away, I just want to make sure the house, jobs and relationships don't go back to 0, like it did my first time. Does this sound about right?

#6 Sharon S

Team Mascot

• 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

All my relationships stayed the same and house stayed the same.

#7 ashsangre

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Same thing happens, everytime I ave and quit my family is in the bin and they lost the house, this is continuous and also getting error 13 code. EA had me un install then re install and it is still doing it. I hope they come out with a patch to fix this soon.

#8 mandababy2003

Simoleon Addict

• 846 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Even when your family is successfully placed and moved in, there is always a copy of them in the neighborhood bin. I'm not sure why they added this "feature" but your family will be perfectly fine in their house, and also sitting in the family bin. Perhaps they did that so you could take your created sims over to the new neighborhood. When you click on them in the bin, it will say something like make copy of family, and some other weird things.

This is probably not the issue in your game, but just for future references, there will always be a copy of your family in the family bin. So if you load the game up and see them in the bin, you won't freak out.

#9 Tweetiepy01

Friendly Townie

• 700 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:19 AM

Man I must be really stupid or maybe I started off wrong. When the game first loaded up, I had the choice to create a sim or move in an existing family - I couldn't find any of the existing family lots, (ie Goths, Bachelor, etc). So I created a sim (Troy Winters) and had him move in to one of the four available houses (not sure here if they just show what he can afford - but there was only the choice of 4 houses (grouped together)).

Now I move him in, play him a bit and save... It asks me to name the file - so I name it Sunset Valley (or whatever the default is) and then go to main menu ???? :shh: :duh: :wacko: OOPS wrong choice.

1 - how do I return to the town to choose and play another family?
2 - do I have to save a game for each household and enter that "load game" to play that person only? Cuz I can't seem to be able to get a different family it only loads up that particular family (neither the guide or the included booklet seems to address this)
3 - I don't see this Troy Winters' house when I play the Ursini house - are the in a different "save game"? I saved the Ursini game as Sunset Valley - Ursini
4 - If I load up the "Sunset Valley - Ursini" game will all the families be there or will my choice be limited to the Ursini lot again?

I'm so confused - I thought the game would save like the TS2 and the neighborhood would be open to selection of any sim family... :mad:

Please help

#10 cadiva

Simmer

• 186 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:58 AM

To play more than one family in the same neighbourhood you have to use the Edit Neighbourhood button, not the ones on the Options Main Menu. You can switch between families but the ones you're not playing will lose their current little wishes and will carry on their lives while you're not playing them. In theory, choosing to turn Story Progression off and switching Aging Off, should stop the rest of your neighbourhood from carrying on but it's a bit buggy at the moment it seems.
*I am not a smurf*

#11 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:53 AM

3 - I don't see this Troy Winters' house when I play the Ursini house - are the in a different "save game"? I saved the Ursini game as Sunset Valley - Ursini
4 - If I load up the "Sunset Valley - Ursini" game will all the families be there or will my choice be limited to the Ursini lot again?

You don't see Troy Winter's house when you play the Ursini family, because you have saved the game as 2 different games. If you want to play the hood with the Ursinis, you will need to open up SV - Ursini, and play that game.
To change families in that hood, go through the edit neighbourhood button, as mentioned.

#12 Drew

CMC

• 1,388 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:55 AM

1 - how do I return to the town to choose and play another family?
2 - do I have to save a game for each household and enter that "load game" to play that person only? Cuz I can't seem to be able to get a different family it only loads up that particular family (neither the guide or the included booklet seems to address this)

I'm so confused - I thought the game would save like the TS2 and the neighborhood would be open to selection of any sim family... :mad:

Please help

1. You have to go to "Edit Town" in options and then "Change residence" or something. But be warned, when you switch families they are no longer "your" family anymore, they are the computer's. Your original family member can die, move out, or re-marry while you are playing your second family. You can't simply save multiple families, you can only save one at a time.

2. Yep, but each new save is a completely different town. If you move Sim 1 into a house on Save A, the house will still be vacant on Save B. Basically if you create a Sim on 5 different save files and move each of them into a house, that save file will not include your 4 other create sims. You can only save the neighborhood itself now, not individual households.

3. Yes, they are on different saves.

4. I'm not quite sure what you mean but I think they will all be there. If you create 5 different Sims on 5 different saves, they will all show up on the "Choose Sim to move into a house" or whatever screen.
I'm planning on living forever. So far, so good.

#13 BebopEmily

Rookie

• 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:30 AM

http://forum.thesims.../list/6537.page

Official 'workaround' to the Story Progression off issues from the official Sims 3 forums. :)

#14 magictoothpaste

Just Registered

• 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

I don't understand this game. I want to have more than one controllable family in one neighbourhood but I don't know how to!

When i go to create a sim.. it will always start up as in a new neighbourhood!

The strategy guide doesn't seem to outline the procedures!! Well I can't find it ..

Need Help =[ .. I don't understand !!

Is it just me ? oR is there are way to get around it!

#15 ruca614

House Party Crasher

• 129 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

when you are playing your family, go to edit town. on the right hand side is a little icon that looks like a house that when you scroll over will say "change active household" click it. You will lose the family's wishes, but everything else will remain unchanged. ONce you click to change active household, then you can choose who else you want to play.

#16 magictoothpaste

Just Registered

• 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Aww Ur So Nice!!!

Thankyouu !!

#17 cadiva

Simmer

• 186 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've merged your thread in with the other two we've had on the subject.
*I am not a smurf*

#18 adriennelisa

House Party Crasher

• 126 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

So in some ways, this goes back to Sims 1 - remember back when just the "neighborhood number" changed? - where you could have the same exact neighborhood in various stages (depending on which family you played?) So each saved game is just another number?

#19 SimsAndTheCity1317515141

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

That's brilliant news! Thank you so much for posting the workaround. I haven't got my game yet :( but I was so worried about the story progression after seeing how many hundreds of complaints that there were on that forum. Such a relief!!!

#20 lynizzle

House Party Crasher

• 145 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

ok...this may be a super silly question, but i just spent like 30 mins creating two new sims for the single purpose of become friend/boyfriend to my current sim...when i went to move them into the neighborhood my current sim wasn't there :( its like i'm playing a whole new neighborhood. how do i add sims to my current neighborhood? and is there a way to save these sims i just spent time creating and add them to my current game? thanks, all

lynell : D
.::don't let it go away...this feeling has got to stay::.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users