Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else using Inkscape for making patterns?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kriss

Team Mascot

• 116 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

I downloaded Inkscape 10 days ago and now I have a love-hate affair going on with the program. There are some features that I just love and there are parts that are driving me nuts :wacko:.

I am normally a very quick learner but this time I have already banged my head against the wall several times during the past week. I have a few questions that I would like to ask if there is anyone else using Inkscape for making patterns.

#2 Thilock

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 294 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Try using Gimp instead, Inkscape is a vector image editor/creator which is perfect if you're making Icons etc.
"Don't waste your time with people who will ultimately destroy you, but concentrate instead on those who will appreciate your responsibility to them, and, likewise, feel responsible to you."
My Skins: Click here - Will you adopt Tiny Tim?
| The Sims 3 Game Icons | My Galleries |

#3 Kriss

Team Mascot

• 116 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

I have Photoshop and I have Corel Painter but even if they have some vector editing features I find them limiting. A vector image editor gives me much more freedom and Inkscape has the Create Tiled Clones feature that makes making seamless patterns a joy. My only "problem" is that I love to experiment and never seem to finish a pattern :lol: . With the Create Tiled Clones feature it's so easy just to tweak a line here or change a shape there and suddenly find a whole new pattern emerge on the screen.

I am just lost when it comes to some of the tiling choices. When I try to rotate a shape around a specific rotation center it spreads the clones all of the canvas instead and this is slowly driving me mad. I think that I have tried every almost every setting but nothing helps. I have been looking for tutorials but they all link to the official Inkscape site which I have already read so I am always returning to square one feeling more and more frustrated each time.

For the moderators: If you think that this thread is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it to where it belongs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users