* * * * * 1 votes

Frequent Questions

• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas|TSR

Simmer

• 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Please post your questions regarding the Workshop here and wait for an answer.
  • CherryBerrySim likes this

#2 Sinastra

Team Mascot

• 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

Please check this post before asking a new question. Thank you!

When I try to install it says I already have a newer version installed?
If you have the Workshop Pattern Tool installed you need to uninstall that first. The pattern tool is now fully integrated into the TSR Workshop framework.

When I try to install and/or launch the program my security software gives me a warning - is this spyware?
Not at all. Firewall/security programs always offer warnings for any software accessing the net, and the Workshop is no different. If your firewall/security program gives you any warnings during install, it is safe to proceed. The Workshop connects to the internet for three things:

(1) To check that you have the latest version of the Workshop.
(2) To display a range of featured creations recently made with the Workshop as well as the latest news.
(3) To connect to your TSR account if you have one, enabling you to upload any creations you want to share easily.

Do I need .Net Framework to use this?
Yes you do. You can grab the latest version from here: http://msdn.microsof...k/cc378097.aspx

Do the files I create replace existing content in the game?
No, the created files are entirely new sims3pack files that work standalone.

Do I need a special installation program for the created content?
No, since they are normal sims3pack files they install the normal way.

Must I upload my creations to TSR?
We have tested and confirmed most of the content created with TSR Workshop, with the exception of meshes. Meshing is still on an experimental level and thus we would prefer that you only upload new meshes to TSR until we can confirm they will not cause problems and we're no longer in a beta phase. This is to make sure any "damaged goods" is not spread too far around the community, making it very tedious to repair if needed. So the simple answer is no, you can upload your creations anywhere you want, with the exception being meshes.

When I try to open a .DDS file in photoshop, it says it is not the right kind of document. What do I do?
You need to download and install the DDS plugin from nvidia's website. You can get that here: http://developer.nvi...ds_plugins.html

I used the same mesh for two different items. When both are installed in game, I only see one of them.
Did you give each item it's own unique identifier? No identifier can be used twice or you will experience that very problem. This can be edited in the input screen that appears after choosing a mesh, or on the Projects tab once you are editing. Never use the default identifier. Take the time input something unique.

More questions will be added to this post as they are asked & answered.
  • Mabalicious likes this

#3 MoMama

Unexpectedly Reticulating Splines

• 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

What format do the DDS files need to be saved in? I've read it somewhere, but can't find it and if I recall it is different from the patterns?

#4 Sinastra

Team Mascot

• 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:52 AM

What format do the DDS files need to be saved in? I've read it somewhere, but can't find it and if I recall it is different from the patterns?

DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha

#5 MoMama

• 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

Well, I sort of have a small clue now.
I was able to change the design and apply my color.
See the pic.
A couple of questions.
The brownish top is the one I did. The black and green one next to it are in the original style.
Do I need to do something to not make them come up, or to come up in my style?

What can I do about the jaggies? They are driving me crazy! Is there an easy way to make things smooth?

Also I made the top longer, but the extra length didn't show up. Is that what you mean about the extruded part?
What sort of attention do you have to pay to it? I imagine I have to edit the mesh for it to be longer.
I tried that, but it crashed on me totally, so I'll save that for another day.

Thanks for you help, Sinastra!:rah:

Attached Files

#6 Sinastra

Team Mascot

• 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

The brownish top is the one I did. The black and green one next to it are in the original style.
Do I need to do something to not make them come up, or to come up in my style?

Make sure you read the bit about variations in my tutorial. It's near the end after the design is completed. Basically, in the workshop window above the three tabs (project/texture/mesh) when you are editing an item, there is a box there with drop downs. Those are your variations.

What you are seeing there with the black and green are the original variations that you needed to edit. Just go to the drop down and select one at a time, and add your DDS files and info like you did for the first variation. You can also delete variations, but it is suggested to have at least 3.

What can I do about the jaggies? They are driving me crazy! Is there an easy way to make things smooth?

Not sure what you mean by jagged -- I don't see anything in your screenshots other than the shape of the actual mesh.

Also I made the top longer, but the extra length didn't show up. Is that what you mean about the extruded part?
What sort of attention do you have to pay to it? I imagine I have to edit the mesh for it to be longer.

Yes, in order to make any item longer the mesh will have to be updated. You cannot simply add more texture to it and expect it to lengthen. The mesh stops at a certain point.

I tried that, but it crashed on me totally, so I'll save that for another day.

As the workshop page states, Meshes: Partial support of export/import of OBJ-files (wavefront format). Mesh vertices may be replaced IF the number of vertices is the same. Bone assignments may not be changed. Fully automated process with a live 3D preview.
Which means you can move vertices around, however, you cannot add or remove them. Hopefully this will be fixed in time, but at the moment it is only possible to make slight changes to a mesh. Yours probably crashed because you added or removed something.

#7 MoMama

• 569 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

I did not add or remove anything. I just dragged them downward to expand the length.
Thanks for the other advice.
The jaggies are hard to see with this print, but are along the collar and straps.
They are there, trust me.
I'll try to send a close-up tonight.

#8 Sinastra

Team Mascot

• 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

I did not add or remove anything. I just dragged them downward to expand the length.

Did you update your alpha mask as well on your mutliplier?

#9 rose-maman

Adam's Girl

• 4,362 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

I downloaded and instaled it today...is this normal that when it is open, my computer lags SOOO much it's crasy!

I can't even see the letters as I type in here let's say...I have to wait a bit before the lettrers actually appears! lol

anyways..I thought I'd ask..

Rosie :0)

#10 dyokabb

New Neighbor

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hello,

When I want to import my multiply, there is the following message:

Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array

What to do?

#11 Rosaleena

Team Mascot

• 83 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

I opened the afTopSleevlessOverhangLong top in the Sims 3 Workshop, and when it comes up with it's mesh, it has no colour and no resemblance to the top in-game, except the bottom of it? :S
I was trying to follow Sinastra's tut :D Im new to this sort of thing..

Link to screenie: http://www.hotlinkfi...ryx/example.png
" Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. " - Alfred Lord Tennyson

#12 Sinastra

Team Mascot

• 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just to let you guys know I am not ignoring your issues. I have responded to issues I know how to solve, but I hope that someone else can come on here and help with the other issues. To be honest, I have no idea why the three of you (Rose, dyo, Rosaleena) are having these issues. I hope someone else notices this thread and can give some input for you. If no one responds soon, I will point this thread out to the guys behind the workshop.

#13 TheNumbersWoman

TSR Support Staff

• 1,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

When I want to import my multiply, there is the following message:

Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array

What to do?

Did you totally redo the outfit(mesh it) or did you use the existing mesh as in Sinastra's Tutorial and texture it?

You can find my stuffs here: "Riccinumbers".
Featured Artist , Artist Panel, FA/SA Management, TSR Support Staff, Chief Cook and Bottle washer.

#14 dyokabb

New Neighbor

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

I managed, in fact it was a concern for mips map ;)

Now, my concern was why when I make a cut, the body is black, see => http://img193.images...hemisekitty.jpg

#15 TheNumbersWoman

TSR Support Staff

• 1,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

I managed, in fact it was a concern for mips map ;)

Now, my concern was why when I make a cut, the body is black, see => http://img193.images...hemisekitty.jpg

This looks like your alpha mask may be incorrect or missing. Did you add the adjusted alpha layer?

Also make sure you have updated to the newest version of the tool version 6.1. I was told the older version can have that array error too.

You can find my stuffs here: "Riccinumbers".
Featured Artist , Artist Panel, FA/SA Management, TSR Support Staff, Chief Cook and Bottle washer.

#16 rose-maman

Adam's Girl

• 4,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hello,

I opened the afTopSleevlessOverhangLong top in the Sims 3 Workshop, and when it comes up with it's mesh, it has no colour and no resemblance to the top in-game, except the bottom of it? :S
I was trying to follow Sinastra's tut :D Im new to this sort of thing..

Link to screenie: http://www.hotlinkfi...ryx/example.png

Hi!
According to the screenie, you get the mesh just right...remember that this is a sleeveless top cami.
So the top is only a texture drawn on the body,so you won't actually see a "mesh", you see the body... and since the bottom is "loose" aka: dose not touch skin, well you see it.

Hope I am not too confusing...:P
Sinastra, it's okay for me....I guess my puter just thinks the workshop is heavy...specially if i try to run it along with ms3d, 2 internet windows...:P, but thank you!

Rosie :0)

#17 dyokabb

New Neighbor

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

Hi!
According to the screenie, you get the mesh just right...remember that this is a sleeveless top cami.
So the top is only a texture drawn on the body,so you won't actually see a "mesh", you see the body... and since the bottom is "loose" aka: dose not touch skin, well you see it.

I have nothing, sorry, but how can I do? :o

#18 mushurox

Just Registered

• 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

how do you test your texture to see if did right? Or how do you preview or import your creations to test out what you have so far? In the re-texture tutorial it says to test in tsr workshop before continuing. How do you do that?

#19 NataliS

Featured from Russia...

• 51 posts
  • LocationMoscow region

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

At me a problem!
I cannot get rid of an initial relief in clothes.:(
It is the starting project a dress has a relief on a back (fastener) and on a breast (a ring and straps).
http://i065.radikal....b7204856dcc.jpg
I have specially made a simple smooth structure.
Changed files overlay, mask, multiplier.
The file multiplier contains a relief. Whether or not...???
In Workshop the dress looks smooth! It is good result.
http://i047.radikal....3f42e2f4e60.jpg
In game (horror!!!) I see on my dress a relief from the initial project! It very well is visible on a smooth dress.
http://i012.radikal....d01a0ccbfc9.jpg
One more picture. Here a dress with a new structure, but the former relief too is seen!:cry:
http://s55.radikal.r...b60c4cd67fe.jpg
In what my mistake?

#20 Pipmon

Just Registered

• 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Is there any change on having a 4th Pattern choice in the future? Right now I can only make 3 custom/colorable areas at this time and some of my creations I'd like to use the full four options available to me please.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users