• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 rachael6262010

Just Registered

• 20 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello,

In regards to the DCBACKUP folder - if these are all package files extracted from sim packs should these items be moved to the mod/packages folder and sorted out to better manage custom content better?

Directly quoted from Sims Wiki

"Contains all package files that get unpacked when you install a sims3pack. This folder is bound to have many files if you install and test out a lot of content, for the files in here will not get deleted when you uninstall or delete something in your Launcher. The names in here are just numbers so you won't know which is which. To find out, you can open them in s3pe and find the picture (Type: THUM or ICON).
If you export a Sim / Household / House from your game, the game only packs the stuff used that is actually in this folder. Meaning if you used a window in your house but deleted the corresponding Package file in this folder, the window will not get packed with the house. Some Downloads don't need to be used to get packed. They just do, but only if you have them in this folder.
Files in this folder have the extension .package."

I can't seem to find much information on this. Trying to get a better hold of my CC as I'm a CC holic.

Thanks,
Rachael

#2 frisbud

La Femme Samantha

• 1,935 posts
  • LocationI'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

No, those files do not get moved into the Mods/Packages folder. As the article you quoted said, these are backups files that the game uses when it is exporting content from the game so they need to remain in the DCBackup fiolder. When items in Sims3pack are installed, they get integrated into the ebc/dbc files in the DCCache folder, and a backup copy to be used when exporting gets placed in the DCBackup folder. So if you were to export a Sim or lot that used custom content, the game would need to pull that content from the DCBackup folder in the exporting process.
TSR Sims 1 Featured Artist & Sims 3 Select Artist -- Visit my Mini-site and see what I'm working on in My Blog
Sam's Sims Yahoo Group -- Added March 26, 2009 -- Unleashed Community Lot 61 Farmers Market

#3 rachael6262010

Just Registered

• 20 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Ok thanks - So guess there is no real way to organize those files, as my mods/packages files is not large only the DCBACKUP. So guess I'll have to figure out how to find content that I don't want. It seems that everything is not in the launcher, and Since we can't delete from in the game I'm stuck with content I no longer use.

#4 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

If you are not intending to export any houses/sims with CC from your game to upload anywhere, it is not a problem. All the CC works in the game without anything in the DCbackup folder. You can then delete the files in that folder. I always do, and don't have problems with my CC. It is only when you export something with CC, that you need the info in the DCBACKUP folder.
If I changed my mind, and decided to start building houses to upload onto TSR, I would uninstall the CC that I was going to use, then install it again, and leave those files in the DCbackup folder until I had finished.

#5 rachael6262010

Just Registered

• 20 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Just one more question, I can see a ton of custom content in my game but the content is not in the launcher. a lot of this content was from sims 3 packs, so not sure how I am to remove the items I don't want without removing all custom content and starting over with the copies of the sims 3 packs and packages that I keep saved on my pc? Also to avoid this in the future would it be easier to convert the sims 3 packs to package files?

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users