• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hello!
I am having this problem...
Since a few months ago, my game started quitting unexpectedly. All my The Sims 3 games are original, bought from trustable stores. I have a lot of CC (4000), and maybe they are the problem, but I don't relate the sudden crashings to a donwload of any specific CC, since there's a long time I don't download more, and the problem started some time later my last downloads.
I don't know what to do. If the problem is really my CC (which I downloaded all from here and awesims) how am I supposed to find the corrupted ones, since there are so many?
I recall a software that could find corrupted CC and even fix some, but I can't find it.
My computer is a MacBook Pro OS X, version 10.6.8, Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I believe my computer is not the problem, but if you wish I can give you more info (just help me finding it please!).

Please help me! I am desperate to play my new The Sims Seasons!
Thank you very much!

#2 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I removed all my CC and still the game crashed after a half hour. I really don't know what to do. Please help me!

#3 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

First of all, I would run Cocktail, to clean up damaged directories, clear out logs, and run various maintenance tasks.

Then I would move or rename your electronic arts folder that is in the documents folder.

Then start up the game. This will make the game start up as though you have just installed it, and a new electronic arts folder will be created. Try running it and see how you go.

But according to my husband, who is the tech expert in my family, your macbook is right on the edge of capability for playing sims 3. So all that CC would probably have been causing problems, and playing with seasons will probably be difficult. I have a more recent macbook pro with 16GB of memory, and things run much more smoothly than previously. Even so, I have to monitor how much CC and mods I use so that the game doesn't get laggy.

I have heard of people using bootcamp and playing sims on the windows side very successfully. You could try that. (apparently one of the things that makes things more difficult playing sims 3 on the mac is the software EA uses to make it possible to play on the mac OS (cider??) - slows things down a lot )

#4 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hello, MacSimMum.
Thank you for the help!

I talked to the EA Game assistants, and they helped me. Apparently, my macbook has two video cards. One of them (Intel) is not compatible with The Sims 3 - and this was the active one. I managed to switch to the another, which is compatible. Now my game stopped crashing and it's running even faster.
But another problem came up: all my custom content disappeared from the game!
I have tried:
*Un-installing them and re-installing them.
*Running the game with the option "run without custom content" checked, and then unchecked.
*Clearing my cache.
*Un-installing The Sims 3 Seasons, which I installed before those problems, but the missing CC persists.

Please, if someone could help me with that!
Thanks in advance.

#5 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

*Clearing my cache.

when you said the above, which cache were you actually talking about?

#6 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Contents *.dbc in DDCache folder;
CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, and another which I don't remember from the The Sims 3 folder. I guess it was all Cache .package from this folder.
I didn't delete ANY folder.
Once I loaded the game, they all re-apeared.

I am considering un-installing all my game, and then re-installing it. What do you think?
Thank you for your help!

#7 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

If you deleted stuff from the DC Cache folder, that may be your problem. It was my understanding that the DCCache folder is the one where all the CC is actually kept. Do you have backup copies of your CC? If so, try reinstalling some of that and see if it appears in the game.

Did you previously remove or rename your electronic arts folder? do you still have the old one? because any CC would be in that, rather than in the newly created one.

If you do un-install and re-install, you will need to re-install all your CC as well.

#8 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

I believe you're talking about DCBackup, not DCCache.

"Did you previously remove or rename your electronic arts folder? do you still have the old one? because any CC would be in that, rather than in the newly created one."

No, I never did that. I still have the old one. I still have all my CC and back-ups of all my CC, saved games, etc.

"If you do un-install and re-install, you will need to re-install all your CC as well."

I am aware of that. But I can't figure nothing else to do to solve this problem. I have already un-installed and re-installed my CC, maybe if start from zero by un-installing all the game, things will work. I hope...

Thank you so much for your interest and help.

#9 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Also I only cleared the DCCache folder after I had the problem with CC, which means something else was the cause of this trouble.

#10 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

I was talking about the DCCache file. If you have deleted anything from this file, then even if that was not the cause of the original problem, it will probably affect your CC.

Please see what Frisbud wrote about this in August in the link below.

http://forums.thesim..._1#entry2298428

#11 cadiva

Simmer

• 186 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Also I only cleared the DCCache folder after I had the problem with CC, which means something else was the cause of this trouble.

The DCCache folder is what contains all the CC once you install it via the Downloads tab on the launcher. The DCBackup folder is simply that, a backup of all the items which are installed into the .ebc and .dbc data files inside the DCCache folder. ONLY delete that if you wish to delete your CC.
*I am not a smurf*

#12 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I see... Thank you for this information.

#13 danydiniz

Just Registered

• 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well, I have un-installed ALL my game and ALL its contents, and re-installed it. I didn't add any CC. I played it, and after a couple of hours it crashed again.
I am getting tired of those problems. I am almost giving up. :(
It makes no sense. I have a great computer to play The Sims, and yet I am not being able to play.
Doesn't anyone have any idea what may be going on? Please? :(

#14 sheridanhoughton

MacSimMum

• 2,146 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

I don't know what may be going on. although it could be that you are reaching the limit of what can be played on the macOS side.

My first suggestion would be to uninstall (again) and then just install the base game. patch it. and see how it goes. If all goes well for a few hours, add the first EP, and then see how that goes. And keep doing it this way to find the limit of what can be played.

My second suggestion would be to get bootcamp. and then install (in stages as above), onto the Windows side of the machine. and see how that goes. As I said in an earlier post, I have read on the internet of some people having much more success playing on the windows side of their machine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users