Seasonal Work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 littlelambsy

Team Mascot

• 335 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

How do you play your self-employed gardeners and anglers during fall and winter? I am having a problem because plants go dormant and lakes freeze over so no work can be done. My sims are very low on funds and live by these methods but now winter is here they have come to a stand still. Any suggestions?

#2 sim_man123

Simmer

• 3,247 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I also find it rather annoying, but someone suggested to me that Supernatural came with planters that can be placed indoors for sims to garden from during the winter - although I currnetly do not have Supernatural to try it out.

I found these instructions:

• Go into Buy Mode and place down a garden planter. Sort by Function, choose Decor and then sort by Plants and you will find them. You can also use the Supernatural collection to find them.
  • Place down your planter on the ground, inside, or on your Sims porch.
  • Place a seed, fruit, or vegetable in your Sims inventory.
  • Click on the seed, fruit, or vegetable in your Sims inventory and choose “Plant”.
  • A dirt pile will appear allowing you to move it around and choose where to plant. You can choose to put it inside the planter or on the ground.
  • Place the dirt pile inside the planter and your Sim will then go over and plant inside the planter.
  • Don’t forget to interact with the planter to water, harvest, and weed the plants!

Something else - although I haven't tried this either - would be to simply build a room (and roof) around the garden to make it become "indoors". I'm not sure if the game will recognize this, though, as the plants will still be in the main "frozen" ground rather than isolated in their planters. You could also try building a room around a pond, but again, I dunno if it would actually work :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#3 littlelambsy

Team Mascot

• 335 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for replying. I don't have SN but will try building a "greenhouse" around the plants and see what happens. I tried building a room around a lake in sims 2 but the lake still froze. After I posted I thought about having my sim fish in the ocean because it doesn't freeze over.

#4 Funnyaa

• 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hi Littlelambsy,
I don't have SN either, but it is possible to build a pretty greenhouse without SN. Don't forget to put a floor in your greenhouse, because otherwise your sims will always tell you the room is not finished. Please have a look at this link, you will find there some ideas to build a wintergarden as we in german say.

http://www.simforum....ad.php?t=188222

#5 littlelambsy

Team Mascot

• 335 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the link, they are wonderful "wintergardens" and I will build myself one.

#6 lisfyre

Senior Socialite

• 1,900 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I have a couple who are "farmers" and I had their farm way before I got Seasons so now that we have seasons/weather, I have them become writers during the winter time to supplement their income. I will be building them a greenhouse eventually but for the moment, this is what I'm having them do to help out.
"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they are acts. Watch your actions, because they are habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny. " – Talmud
"Life is short. Insecurity is a waste of time." ~Diane Von Furstenburg
"You don't get out of life alive." ~ Jimmy the Hand

#7 KrisGail

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 350 posts
  • LocationMy own little world

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Thank you so much for the idea. I'm currently struggling with this too. I bought the community garden/greenhouse lot from the Sims store, but the residential items don't build a seasons compatible greenhouse. (It was released the same week as seasons.)
"That he is mad, 'tis true
'Tis true, 'tis pity
And pity 'tis, 'tis true."
Hamlet

#8 RuthieFaye777

Simoleon Addict

• 987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

This is a soapbox issue for me because it irritates me to no end that to have a working farmer I have to either buy additional objects either from EA or from a third party, buy an expansion pack that I have no interest in or adjust my seasons to where I basically have very little winter, or just not have a farmer. I think this is just something that was not well thought out. They should have included in Seasons a working greenhouse.

#9 KrisGail

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

And to add insult to injury - the rain does NOT water the plants in the ground. :blink: In the middle of a downpour your sim is outside using a watering can... :angry:

Edit: Ironically, I typed this, then went to load the game and got the option to download patch 1.50 which fixes a lot of seasonal issues with gardening. Yay!

Edited by KrisGail, 19 February 2013 - 06:21 PM.

'Tis true, 'tis pity
Hamlet

#10 RuthieFaye777

Simoleon Addict

• 987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

What kind of seasonal issues does it fix? I had forgotten about the rain not watering the plants because I usually just keep a sprinkler on 24/7 just so they aren't out there watering in the rain.

#11 KrisGail

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

It fixes many things, among them: rain will now water plants, snow will not accumulate on indoor plants, indoor plants will not go dormant, snow will interact properly with foundations, etc. That's what I recall offhand. AND this patch will fix the Omni plant gifts issue!!
'Tis true, 'tis pity
Hamlet

#12 lisfyre

Senior Socialite

• 1,900 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

This is a soapbox issue for me because it irritates me to no end that to have a working farmer I have to either buy additional objects either from EA or from a third party, buy an expansion pack that I have no interest in or adjust my seasons to where I basically have very little winter, or just not have a farmer. I think this is just something that was not well thought out. They should have included in Seasons a working greenhouse.

Ruthie, I created a new sim before Seasons and she is a writer. However, she's also a vegetarian and a green thumb and when I built her house, I built a "greenhouse" attached to her house. No I don't have the store's greenhouse ...yet :) Anyway, I just built a room basically and put in the floor to ceiling glass windows with a regular roof. I didn't put floor tiles down, just terrain painted it with dirt and she's got her greenhouse. Everything's working great even in the winter time and she's planting to her hearts content. She always gets the Unfinished Room moodlet because I don't have proper floors in that room but otherwise, it's all good.

Edit: Ironically, I typed this, then went to load the game and got the option to download patch 1.50 which fixes a lot of seasonal issues with gardening. Yay!

I just finished patching my vanilla game with this 1.50 patch and everything's working well. No glitches or anything.
"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they are acts. Watch your actions, because they are habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny. " – Talmud

#13 RuthieFaye777

Simoleon Addict

• 987 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Lisfyre I just figured from what I've been hearing that a room like that wouldn't work. I'll try it the next time I play but they may have made some changes with Seasons. Good thinking on your part though to make a greenhouse room weither you planned on getting Seasons or not it sounds like it would be a nice addition for your sim and I'm really glad it's working for you. Since you did get seasons that forethought may have been the saving grace for that gardener.

#14 Funnyaa

• 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi,
I am glad you like the gardehouses on the link and that you a now some good ideas to built one by you own.

@ Lisfyre: why don't you put your plants in a plant pot? So you can flooring this room or gardenhouse and your sims will get a better mood. :)

#15 RuthieFaye777

Simoleon Addict

• 987 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hi,
I am glad you like the gardehouses on the link and that you a now some good ideas to built one by you own.

@ Lisfyre: why don't you put your plants in a plant pot? So you can flooring this room or gardenhouse and your sims will get a better mood. :)

Where did you get the planters? By planters I'm talking about the "plant pot" you refer too. Do you have Supernatural?

#16 lisfyre

Senior Socialite

• 1,900 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Actually, I just got some 3rd party CC planters from Platinum Simmers and I'm going to try that next time I play that family. I think the planter that came with Season's is really tiny and the planters I got can fit 4 - 8 plants depending on the size you pick. Looking forward to using it.

#17 RuthieFaye777

Simoleon Addict

• 987 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Actually, I just got some 3rd party CC planters from Platinum Simmers and I'm going to try that next time I play that family. I think the planter that came with Season's is really tiny and the planters I got can fit 4 - 8 plants depending on the size you pick. Looking forward to using it.

I've never downloaded anything from Platinum Simmers, is it a good place to get things? What did they cost, or do you have to join their site?

#18 lisfyre

Senior Socialite

• 1,900 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've never downloaded anything from Platinum Simmers, is it a good place to get things? What did they cost, or do you have to join their site?

You don't have to register just select the Downloads tab and browse thru and download what you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users