- - - - -

Sims 2 + Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hi folks. Well my computer store is having trouble locating a comp with Windows 7 and is waffeling on trying to get me to go to Windows 8. Grrrrr. I was not prepared to take that step just yet but I may not have a choice. This one with XP is going downhill and won't last much longer.

Since Windows 8 is so new there isn't a lot of history yet to back it up. Big question. Has anyone here converted to Windows 8 yet and if so what has been your experience so far.

Thanks for any info.

#2 DianeHanna

• 452 posts
  • LocationDesert Southwest USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

I can't even tell you how many threads on how many forums I've read about this issue. Some folks have major problems, others none. Just Google The Sims 2 Windows 8 and you'll see what I mean.

Have you talked to your computer store about downgrading to windows 7. Depending on your financial situation, it might be feasible, but I read that you'd have to buy a new, unused copy of windows 7.

I've been terrified that my computer would need replaced. Please let us know what you decide to do, and how it goes for you.

“They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever .” ~ Oscar Wilde

#3 residenteviloutbreak

• 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

I can tell you from experience that all my 8 PC`s refuse to run the game.
It wont ever get past the installer.

8 is terrible for gaming.

#4 Sims2-lady

• 2 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

I eventually got my Sims 2 to run on windows 8 but you need the original files from another pc. It's something to do with the updater file.

#5 Kitty.chen

Rookie

• 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I created a Method to make it run. It helped me and a few others. check it out http://www.modthesim...d=1#post4111566

#6 sim_man123

Simmer

• 3,129 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Your computer store must not be looking hard enough (or they get commsions of some kind for selling Windows 8 systems) because I have seen TONS of Windows 7 systems still. (I personally dislike Windows 8 and hope that I never have to deal with it :D Many other people are apparantly the same way ) I think I'd avoid that computer store. Working with them to get a computer should be about what YOU want, not what they are going to benefit from selling you.

For example, I just went to Dell's website. (Generic, mass-market example) They have 57 Windows 7 laptops and 24 Windows 7 desktops. Going through an general electronics store, like Tiger Direct, they have 307 computers listed under "Windows 7." Best Buy has 1019 Windows 7 computers listed. :o 

I'd suggest you go poke around some computer websites and see what you can find around the top of your price-range. Computers are, unfortunately, a you-get-what-you-pay-for-affair. The more powerful of a computer you can get now, the longer it will last you. Keep in mind, though, that this is a bit of an awkward time for buying a new PC with TS4 coming out in the next year or so - that is, if you plan on getting TS4 - as we don't know anything about what kind of specs it's going to require. If you're completely unsure of what to look for in a computer, at this day and age, the most important factor is a dedicated graphics card. If it has that, the rest of the specs will most likely follow suit. 

If you do look at computers on your own, you can of course post back here with them and people will be able to give you advice on if what you've found is good or not so good, brand quality, etc. :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#7 luckylibran24

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

I created a Method to make it run. It helped me and a few others. check it out http://www.modthesim...d=1#post4111566

Hello all, 

I followed your links but modthesims site never seems to work for me, it won't let me download grumpy installer :( I logged in but everytime I do that I just get this big error page and can't do anything. :(

Currently I installed all the games yesterday on windows 8 and copied across my saved games and it ran but then crashed after 5 mins or less each time. Bit frustrating so I realised I can't play it like that! So today I uninstalled it all and was going to follow your instructions to the letter, but now can't get grumpy installer.

Also thought I'd try downloading my games through origin but when I put the code in it said it was already in use *sigh*

So NOW I have reinstalled sims base game (4 disks) and that worked well :) But then I installed university and it starts but then just gets stuck loading a family, it doesn't crash though, just stays loading forever. And now the uni patch won't completely install, if I continued installing my other packs will it work? Or do I really need to get this patch working now? Any ideas of how to do that without grumpy? :/ HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

Annie 

#8 Kitty.chen

Rookie

• 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Well this is the Grumpy Loader. to me University Patch only worked with GrumpyLoader (IT IS NOT MY WORK! Ravenfire made it, but I wrote the the Tutoriall all by myself) It is also important when it says "Please insert disk 2" to insert it and BEFORE you click "okay" set the compatibility on Win XP SP 2 as well. I had to reinstall it and when it didn't worked I tried it again wit setting the other disks to Winxp sp 2 and suddenly it worked. I hope itll help you

#9 luckylibran24

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try! Fingers crossed!!

#10 luckylibran24

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Update: I got it working!! YAAAAAY 

It still has some glitches in that it will run for 30 mins without a crash only about one in ten times I launch the game! But here's the quick info for what I did that is different to the option above: (there is more of a ramble on my blog on my profile (luckylibran24)

*got replacement digital versions from ea support to run on origin

*they gave me double deluxe base game version instead of my 4 disker!

*tried running them in compatibility modes but running the latest expansion pack they gave me straight through origin I don't think it applies the compat mode and it ran for 30 mins as long as I stayed on the same lot and didn't visit a community.

*dont try create a sim -it crashes without fail every time so far. So I'm using the premade families for now

*I have installed my CC and it still works

:)

Happy simming. xoxo

#11 luckylibran24

Advanced Member

• 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hi folks. Well my computer store is having trouble locating a comp with Windows 7 and is waffeling on trying to get me to go to Windows 8. Grrrrr. I was not prepared to take that step just yet but I may not have a choice. This one with XP is going downhill and won't last much longer.

Since Windows 8 is so new there isn't a lot of history yet to back it up. Big question. Has anyone here converted to Windows 8 yet and if so what has been your experience so far.

Thanks for any info.

Update (again):

My game is now working on windows 8 pretty much perfectly (the only thing that isn't quite right is the graphics on the neighbourhood screen) 

This development is most likely due to installing the latest windows update from windows 8 to window 8.1. - I run my game in "windowed" mode and even create a sim now works without crashing and custom content!! 
So my suggestions are to get the digital version of the base game, make sure you update from windows 8 to 8.1 and run it in windowed mode (also mine is currently running in comp mode windows 7, haven't bothered changing this from before). Good luck to all! It can be done! Keep trying!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users