Photo
- - - - -

Blender/Sims 3 questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 MadMinstrel

• 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I'd like to try my hand at making clothing for S3. I've been unable to find any tutorial that isn't either irrelevant or offline, so I hope you can answer some questions. I work with Blender. I'm experienced with making models for offline rendering and to a lesser extent for games, but the workflow for S3 seems, uh, special.

If I understand correctly, if you want to make a piece of clothing, you have to export an existing object, modify it, swizzle the textures and import it back. The only formats supported by TSW however are obj which doesn't support vertex weighting, and wso which is a format I've never seen before. So how are you supposed to import the weights? The wso scripts for blender seem to be dead, and only support the ancient Blender 2.49.

I couldn't find a scene anywhere with a basic nude character with all the age morphs and armatures intact and weight test animations. Surely someone has made one over the years?

I can't find any info on the normal map format used in S3, the tangent basis in particular (I doubt it uses the popular mikktspace since that was only standardized after S3 was released).

#2 BlooMbLURR

Trashcan Kicker

• 820 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Dont bother using Blender for clothing.
It recalculates the normals when importing wich ruines the neck, waist and ankle normals(when those are skin on the seams)
For years people are begging to fix this Blender issue but no solution yet.....

TSRW recalculates the tangents on import now(fixes them)

There is a good importer/exporter for GEOMS for Blender(the format EA uses for meshes) aswell as other tools for creating clothing:
http://www.modthesim...ad.php?t=443780

But it means you are forced to use s3OC/s3PE or CTU/Toolkit
s3OC to clone
s3PE to export/import
Toolkit to create the morphs

CTU also can clone outfits but has a few minor bugs
Ever visited my site?
www.bloomsbase.net

#3 MadMinstrel

• 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'm not interested in reusing the existing meshes, my intention is to create new ones and bake normals from hipoly sculpts. Unless I'm missing something, the normal map should be able to correct any discrepancies as long as it's baked with the correct tangent basis.

#4 sim_man123

Simmer

• 3,139 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm not interested in reusing the existing meshes, my intention is to create new ones and bake normals from hipoly sculpts. Unless I'm missing something, the normal map should be able to correct any discrepancies as long as it's baked with the correct tangent basis.

Not to say that entirely new meshes aren't possible, but "generally" people consider it to be more trouble than it's worth. As you may (or may not have) noticed, clothing meshes for The Sims also include the actual body - tops are not only the shirt/jacket/whatever, but they also contain the torso, arms, hands, and neck. Bottoms, in addition to whatever clothing, contain the legs. I believe shoes are separate, faces are separate, and then if I recall correctly, the scalp is part of the hair. All these pieces have to fit together in such a perfect way in order to make a complete sim, and all of the vertices have to be assigned in a certain way to fully match EA's animations, and the UV map has to be a certain way for the skin textures to match correctly. (I believe the skin, body hair, and tattoos are all created to work on the same "stock" body UV map, perhaps Bloom or someone who knows more about body meshing can correct me on that).

Trying to recreate the extraneous body parts - such as the neck or hands - in a way that will perfectly match what EA has done is a lot of work. Mapping it all properly is even more work. Even if you succeed, it's then rendered pointless because you ended up making what you had to start with. This is why pretty much every article of clothing is, in some form, a recycled EA mesh. :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#5 MadMinstrel

• 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Oh, I see. I didn't expect that. You're right, that does make Blender rather useless in this case, at least until they recode some tools and modifiers to stop recalculating the normals at every possible occasion. Well, at the very least, thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I can go do something else :-)

#6 BlooMbLURR

Trashcan Kicker

• 820 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

well, you need to have a look at Toolkit:
In theorie:
* You mesh watever you want in Blender, just make sure you uvmap it in the apropiate area's(http://imageshack.us...65/template.jpg)
* You export it as GEOM with CMO's exporter: http://www.modthesim...ad.php?t=443780
* With Cmar's Toolkit(http://www.modthesim...ad.php?t=481950) you can:
fix the tangents(but not necesarry with TSRW)
convert to WSO
create morphs
reassigne the boneweights with 2 clicks
it has a option to fix seams but not sure if this was boneweights or normals(or even tangents)
I did once ask her to update it for the normals, not sure if she did.
Ever visited my site?
www.bloomsbase.net

#7 okashii

• 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey guys, I'm new at making anything for S3 in 3D software.  I've downloaded blender since they say I can use it.   I've even downloaded the rig that allows S3 meshing in Blender; however, I can't seem to figure out what kind of file can be imorted.  The ones that I have tried are sim3pack files and wrk files. My question is: What kind of file can you import into blender in order to modify the mesh?

#8 bobbythehacker

Just Registered

• 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not to say that entirely new meshes aren't possible, but "generally" people consider it to be more trouble than it's worth. :)

That is unfornate because the less people uses real 3D modelling program, the less they will be suported,

but it is highly possible to any experience 3D modeller, If you are familiar with my creations, you will see that i have made entirelly new bodyshapes and clothings by using Blender, 3dsMax and zBrush.

But it is certainly not for everyone.

For exemple of my work, just Google for "BobbyTH"

Hey guys, I'm new at making anything for S3 in 3D software.  I've downloaded blender since they say I can use it.   I've even downloaded the rig that allows S3 meshing in Blender; however, I can't seem to figure out what kind of file can be imorted.  The ones that I have tried are sim3pack files and wrk files. My question is: What kind of file can you import into blender in order to modify the mesh?

sim3pack and wrk files are NOT geometry files format, (,GEOM and .WSO are)

there are but 3 different plugins for Blender (2 geom and 1 wso), unfortunatelly NONE of them work, take it from my years of experience that no time should be wasted on them because although I bow to their respective creators for their effort and interest in blender, none of them have succeded and all those project have been inactive for some time.

My format of choice for Sims 3 is .obj for modelling, then i convet to ,geom format in milkshape and use Cmar's MeshToolKit to get a basic bone assignment which i later finetune in milkshape.

MeshToolKit can be used to convert the geom format to WSO format for use in TSRW.

.SDK format can also be used in Blender if you have a good understanding of the bone heiarchy and don't mind renaming the entire skeleton ....

Hope this was useful!

~°BobbyTH°~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users