Photo
- - - - -

DDS Plugin for Paint shop pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 rrsw04089

• 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I decided to have a go at making my own content so started with what I thought would be a relatively simple one. I found a tutorial for putting my own pictures in my game. Wrong not simple at all!!! Not to me anyway. I don't have photoshop but the tutorial said I could use my PSP x3. I tried to open the dds file with my PSP but got not supported message. I followed various instructions for installing the dds plugin but nothing worked. I have spent the past 3 days trying to get this to work but have no idea what else to do. Please can someone help as this is now becoming a life or death issue lol

#2 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,837 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Try just using PNG instead of DDS. Workshop will automatically convert a PNG image into DDS when you import it. :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#3 counterville

• 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Im having exactly the same problem aswell. I spent about 90 mins this morning watching tutorial videos on youtube to learn how to use this programme and experimenting with the programme.

The only photoshop programme i have is on my old windows xp pc, and its photoshop 4, which the plug in does not support. I also dont have corel pain shop pro.

I am aware that you have to save your thing in TRS Workshop as a png and not a DDS file otherwise you cant open it in paint shop pro. But however.......................if you try and make any alterations to it at all in paint shop pro like add text or a motife to the piece of clothing and you try saving it as a png, you get a message saying "all transparency will be lost, is this ok?" and when you save it and open it back up in TRS workshop, everything on the sim from his neck down turns into the same colour as his clothing, his skin, whatever bottoms he's wearing, his shoes....everything.

#4 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,837 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

For alpha on a PNG image, it's generally what you see is what you get. For the alpha channel to work, it needs to not be a channel, but actually be on the image - as in, whatever is supposed to be invisible, is actually invisible on the image itself.

Also, I was able to find these instructions from nVidia on using DDS with Paint Shop Pro :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#5 counterville

• 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

For alpha on a PNG image, it's generally what you see is what you get. For the alpha channel to work, it needs to not be a channel, but actually be on the image - as in, whatever is supposed to be invisible, is actually invisible on the image itself.

Also, I was able to find these instructions from nVidia on using DDS with Paint Shop Pro :)

Thanks for the reply.   Everything you said in the first paragraph im affraid to say i didnt understand a word of lol

As for those instructions, i did find them myself earlier on.  I think you might find that they are for getting the plug in to work with "Jasc Paint Shop Pro" (hence there being a folder in your windows directory labeled Jasc Software)  I have no idea what folder the paint shop pro is in that comes with windows 7 , ive tried looking and its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The only thing i wanna do is just add motifes and text to the clothing thats all.  Is there a simpler programme maybe for that?.  When i used my photoshop 4 with the workshop programme that came with sims 2 to for sims 2, i could recolour that multiple thing and only the colour of the clothing would change, and not 85% of the sim aswell.

#6 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,837 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Those instructions are quite dated - but I've been unable to find anything newer, unfortunately. I'll keep looking around.

Paint Shop Pro is now owned by Corel, not Jasc. Likewise, Paint Shop Pro does not come with Windows 7 - you may have gotten it as a package while purchasing the computer, but it's not part of the actual operating system in any way. At any rate, newer versions of Paint Shop Pro will most likely be installed under either something along the lines of "Program Files\Corel" or "Program Files\Paint Shop Pro" - not exactly sure as it's been years since I've used PSP :D

The last part of what you're saying is confusing me - there was no Workshop for The Sims 2. Sims 2 used an entirely different program called SimPE. By "multiple thing" I assume you mean "multiplier"? TS2 didn't use multipliers either - both of these you must be confusing for TS3 :)

The "simpler" program would be Photoshop, as the plug-in is self-installing and just kind of automatically works with it. Photoshop 4 is ancient, though, I'm not sure if the DDS plug-ins with work with a version so old - or if Photoshop 4 will even work with Windows 7 :huh:

Kris

mqpe.png

#7 counterville

• 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Photoshop 4 i know is old, i bought it second hand at a fair price back in 2005 i think, i cant remember why i bought it, and to be honest i hardly ever use it at all, but its the only Photoshop programme i have.  It certainly wont work on windows 7, i have tried installing it there, windows 7 dont wanna know about it.   I only paid about £20 for Photoshop 4.    So im certainly not willing to spend £50-£70 on a more recent version of the programme which currently is their going rate on amazon.

Ive tried downloading that DDS plug in, ive tried installing it and my paint shop pro still wont recognise the alpha mode (where the background is full of a grey checkered pattern).  The background just comes out as a solid white.    I still cant find any folder for paint shop pro, not under corel, or under Jasc.  

The closet success i have had so far with the workshop programme when i export a PNG or Tif into the programme is by clicking on the Multiplier function is this............. ticking either of the boxes saying "fully transparent (black)" or "Fully Opaque (white)" then click the button that says "set image" then opening up the same file again, and it makes the actual clothing be full of grey checkered patterns and the background still a solid white (when it should be the other way round of course)

#8 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,837 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Since you mentioned earlier that it came with Windows 7, and that there is no sign of PSP being installed, you're not just referring to plain old Microsoft "Paint" are you? (Just checking all of my bases!) Because technically, if there is no program files installation folder for PSP, then in general that means that it's not installed - unless whoever installed it decided to install it to some other location (which could literally be anywhere).

Something else I just thought of - do you have a 64-bit operating system? If so, you will have two Program Files folders - one that is just "Program Files" and one that is "Program Files x86." I believe Paint Shop Pro is only a 32-bit application, which means that it will be installed in the "Program Files x86" folder.

That last method you just mentioned - using "set image" could work. For set image, what you should import there is a long the lines of an alpha map.  That would be an entirely separate image, most likely painted over from the multiplier, using solid white for the parts that are supposed to be solid/clothes, and then solid black for the rest that is supposed to be invisible/skin. Getting a proper paint-over may take a few tries, though.

There is another alternative to all of this, and that would be using GIMP. It's an open-source, completely free alternative to Photoshop. It also has a DDS plug-in that you can download from this page. (It's the second download link - "gimp-dds-win32-2.0.2.zip"). If you do try this method, the plug-in comes as an .exe file, but don't try to run it. It just gets placed in the plug-ins folder, which according to the readme that comes with the plug-in is "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.8\plug-ins" :)

Kris

mqpe.png

#9 counterville

• 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thank you sim_man123 for the link to Gimp, the free alternative to paint shop pro. Yes it does recognise the alpha system so that i can do clothing mods on TSR Workshop.

As you can see from the screen shots below, i have started using gimp to make mods with.  But i am having problems.  I cannot figure out how to export my work so that it becomes compatible with TSR Workshop.   When i tried opening up my modded export, only the word "Dragons" uploaded

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users