Photo
- - - - -

Game freezes at start up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 oldmember_Soft-N-Fluffy

• 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

I have had this problem for a long time, despite the fact that my computer's specs are well above the minimum requirements. Every single time I open the Sims 3 it freezes just as the EA logo appears and the program stops responding. I am patched to 1.55 and have all of the expansion pack besides Island Adventures. I also have High-End Loft Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff. I do NOT have any custom content, mods, or pirated games.

Here are the things I have tried, none of which have worked:

Running TS3 as administrator

Running TS3 in Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode

Updating my video card

Making sure I had DirectX and an updated sound card

Starting TS3 in windowed mode (by changing the full screen setting in options.ini to "fullscreen = 0")

Removing my Sims 3 folder from My Documents/Electronic Arts

Reinstalling base game, expansion packs, and stuff packs (this one made my game work for a while but then it randomly started freezing again about a week after reinstall)

Adding all the application in the bin folders to the DEP exception list

Here is my DxDiag info: http://pastebin.com/1ys2vtTC

Hopefully given all this information, somebody will be able to help me. Thanks in advance. I'm really not sure what else I can try that I haven't already so I'm at a loss.

#2 frisbud

La Femme Samantha

• 1,784 posts
  • LocationI'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

I hate to say this but your computer is not way above specs. The graphics package is what drags it down. The Radeon 5450 is just an entry-level card in that series, while for Sims3 you would want a mid-range card or above for best performance. For the most reliable gameplay, it is probably best to be used in low settings, maybe medium, but definitely not high. If you look at the graphics card hierarchy list in terms of performance, it ranks very low. It comes in just above the majority of the Intel integrated chips(which are not meant for 3d gaming, just basic computer usage).

Sorry to say this but you may be asking too much from this card when trying to install all of the expansions and some stuff packs. You may want to try installing just the base game first. Play that for a while to see how fluid the gameplay is. Try turning down the graphics settings in the game. Then add in an expansion pack. Play that for a bit to see how it performs. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get through the installations of all of your packs or you find the threshold of what this card can and cannot handle when it starts freezing and not responding again. You may have to forego some of the packs.

One other thing I noticed when researching your Dell make and model was that the tech specs list it with a 350 watt PSU. The Radeon 5450 calls for at least a 400 watt PSU. So if your machine does have the 350 watt PSU, you may not be getting enough power to the card to run it properly.

TSR Sims 1 Featured Artist & Sims 3 Select Artist -- Visit my Mini-site and see what I'm working on in My Blog
Sam's Sims Yahoo Group -- Added March 26, 2009 -- Unleashed Community Lot 61 Farmers Market

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users