Base game won't reinstall

PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Legends_Honor

• 5 posts
  • LocationSW US

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

I have a new Toshiba laptop (made last April) with plenty of space and power. 

Recently, I noticed that S3 wouldn't save or transition in-game play - from direct manipulation to edit town, f.e.  I restored my system using the type to clear the disc and restore to factory settings.  The base game won't reinstall.  I have System Mechanic Pro which says there are COM, file and foldername errors which won't resolve - the reason I restored.  The system has never been unprotected.

I have posted in iolo, Toshiba and EA's Answer HQ forums.  One reply in those forums showed a similar problem from a post here, but it doesn't apply to this occurrence. Below is my best guess as to what the hang-up is, but I'm not techie type in the least. 

Does anyone have any clues as to what I can do?

Attached Files

Edited by frisbud, 31 July 2013 - 02:53 PM.
Removing formatting from post. Please review our forum rules. Thank you.

#2 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,938 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

There certainly seems to be a lot of issues about uninstalling/reinstalling the game lately! Offhand, I do not beleive COM/ActiveX errors to be anything serious. I can clean my registry 10 times in a row, and all 10 times it will give me at least one of those errors and I've never had any serious system/software problems. I found a Microsoft article explaining what COM is, but unfortunately, I can't find anything explaining what a COM registry error is - just people trying to sell me registry cleaning programs :D There may be more than meets the eye with that, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Now then, we could use a bit more information. First off, a DXDiag (instructions can be found in the second half of this post) would be helpful to establish the basic specs of your computer.

Secondly, as for your game, when you say it wouldn't save when transitioning, what did the game do? I believe the game prompts you to save at that point - did you click yes? Did it just crash to the desktop? Did it give any error messages, and do you per chance remember what it said if so? Was it carrying on like nothing was wrong, all the while just not actually saving?

Some more information about why you can't reinstall the game would be helpful, as well. Is the computer saying it's already installed, or giving some errors, or is the installation just not starting up? Is the computer even recognizing the disc? (Or are you trying to use a digital download?)

Kris

mqpe.png

#3 Legends_Honor

• 5 posts
  • LocationSW US

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

Sorry so vague...  not a techie type, myself and just getting soooooo tired of this.  I didn't think I would have problems such as this . .  when I picked out this system.  :unsure:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/2/2013, 18:16:39
       Machine name: PREMIER-PC
   Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
       System Model: Satellite P850
               BIOS: 6.70
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8082MB RAM
          Page File: 2506MB used, 13767MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family
           DAC type: Internal
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_FB011179&REV_09
     Display Memory: 1792 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
      Shared Memory: 1760 MB
       Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: unknown
         Monitor Id: LGD033A
        Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.019Hz)
        Output Type: Internal
        Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.3040 (English)
     Driver Version: 9.17.10.3040
        DDI Version: 11
     Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
 Compute Preemption: Thread group
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 3/6/2013 03:02:12, 12615680 bytes

As for not saving..  it would just not move, except for that sectioned circle that rotates or whatever you call it..  the same with not transitioning from direct play to say, edit town... it just wouldn't 'go there'.    :mellow:

Once in a while I do get a box when the game crashes which says 'Sims 3 stopped working' and the only option being 'Close Program'.  That's disappointing in itself, I try to remember to keep saving especially when I remodel/create/experience something significant in-game. 

It's been DAYS now since I've been in the game and my memory capability has been cut dramatically since my cardiac event early last year.  So, I don't remember more clearly any detail regarding the failure to save/transition. 

I check 'Run as Administrator' and Compatibility for XP SP3 for all parts of the game, btw.  I don't know if that really helps or not, I do know that the pieces weren't made to play on W8 nor W8 to run S3. It seemed to run fine before, tho'.  :huh:

When I try to install it.. it'll get to the window that shows the regions then after I click 'Next' it disappears..  after some minutes tho', before... it would show the relative icon on the desktop, then I would know it installed.  Now, after the regions window disappears, no icon appears.  :(  I'm trying to find out and resolve.. why it won't install, I don't know that part.  ;)  No discs, all downloads from Origin.

#4 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,938 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

:huh: Windows 8 might very well be the problem here. Since it's just disappearing without any error messages, that doesn't give us anything to try to fix, and I'm not experienced enough (I.E. at all) with Windows 8 to really come up with anything. Perhaps instead of compatability for Win XP (Win XP went by the wayside two years before TS3 - probably equally as non compatible as W8 :D ) I would suggest either compatability for Vista or ideally 7. Have you heard anything back on any of the other forums? I would assume EA would be the best bet. Everything that I can find either involves disk errors (which is obviously not the case here) or problems getting the game to run - nothing on how to get the game to install. :unsure:

(As for formatting - that is in reference to the way you are posting. For example, you last post is blueish and italicized, which is the "text formatting" that was removed. Text formatting is geared for use for emphasis, not for an entire post :) )

Kris

mqpe.png

#5 Legends_Honor

• 5 posts
  • LocationSW US

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for trying to help.. 

It was running fine on my system for at least a month, if not longer (don't remember exactly)  One person seems to think it has something to do with the different downloads.. similar to what this site offers. I think it's peculiar that the files above won't resolve anymore, which leads me to believe it has something to do with it. I really don't know.  The Toshiba forum put a link to a thread here but not of this particular type of problem.  That's why I tried here.  The EA Answer HQ forum so far hasn't produced a solution.  Their chat used to have remote capability, but I'm told not anymore... by a different EA tech via chat.  I keep the remote assistance off/unchecked or whatever it requires to disallow someone else from getting in here w/o my knowledge.

It appeared that the pic I had before was missing.. I thought that's what the formatting reference meant.

Just curious.. judging from what you know..  is my system adequate for running S3?  Did I miss something I should have known about for gameplay...

#6 frisbud

La Femme Samantha

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationI'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

The graphics package in your laptop is not good for Sims3. You only have an integrated graphics chip. Those are meant for just basic everyday computer usage -- checking the internet, watching videos, using office tools. For games like Sims3 that use 3d rendering, you really need a dedicated video card that can process the 3d graphics. With integrated chips, the game may play fine for a while, but eventually the chip will weaken due to the prolonged stress of trying to process graphics that it just is not meant to process. At that point, all sorts of problems can start to creep up -- anything from the game freezing and crashing to the extreme of shutting the laptop off completely.

As to the formatting question -- formatting is the use of italics, bold, color, reducing or enlarging the font, and so on. Basically anything that changes the look of the post from the default forum settings. It is only to be used to emphasize a word or phrase. It is not to be used for an entire post. In our forum rules, that is rule #5. ;)

TSR Sims 1 Featured Artist & Sims 3 Select Artist -- Visit my Mini-site and see what I'm working on in My Blog
Sam's Sims Yahoo Group -- Added March 26, 2009 -- Unleashed Community Lot 61 Farmers Market

#7 sim_man123

Simmer

• 2,938 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

The graphics package in your laptop is not good for Sims3. You only have an integrated graphics chip. Those are meant for just basic everyday computer usage -- checking the internet, watching videos, using office tools. For games like Sims3 that use 3d rendering, you really need a dedicated video card that can process the 3d graphics. With integrated chips, the game may play fine for a while, but eventually the chip will weaken due to the prolonged stress of trying to process graphics that it just is not meant to process. At that point, all sorts of problems can start to creep up -- anything from the game freezing and crashing to the extreme of shutting the laptop off completely.

As to the formatting question -- formatting is the use of italics, bold, color, reducing or enlarging the font, and so on. Basically anything that changes the look of the post from the default forum settings. It is only to be used to emphasize a word or phrase. It is not to be used for an entire post. In our forum rules, that is rule #5. ;)

If that is the only card, which with 8GB of RAM and an i7 processor, I doubt is the case. Toshiba does nothing but tell me that laptop is no longer made and recommends a newer model (heh, that shows you what "new" in computer terms means)  but from what I find on other review sites, that level of configuration comes with either an nVidia 630M or 640M.  DxDiag annoyingly never finds the real graphics card in modern two-teir set ups. (Hence why I didn't question the 4000, because my DxDiag shows the same thing, despite that I know better)

Legends_Honor - if you right click on an .exe (such as the Launcher icon) do you get an option to "Run with graphics processor..."? Combined that with if you go to the control panel, do you have an "NVIDIA Control Panel"? If you do, and go open the nVidia control panel, on the lower left there is a "system information" link that will tell you specifically what the higher level card you have is. (See example image.)

In the event you do have an actual dedicated card, you may need to alter the cards settings to pick up on TS3. Because of the system settings always defaulting to "auto" for which card to use, the launcher is seen as a lightweight application, and thus gets ran with the integrated chip - and when you start the game, it also gets put onto to the integrated chip rather than the dedicated card.

Kris

mqpe.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users