- - - - -

Sims 2 Launcher

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi folks. Well I have a big problem right now. When I click the Icon that I've used for a over a year now to start my game this morning I'm getting a message telling me "The Sims 2 Launcher has quit working". Additional text in the window states there was a problem and if Microsoft finds a solution I'll be notified. Well I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Has anyone had this problem in the past and is there a solution? I certainly don't want to re-install. As a last resort I will, after back-up, but I hope to find a easier way. Is there a way to bypass Auto Launch? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yes, you can bypass the Launcher in TS2, but you have to edit the shortcut that you use to start the game.  First, right-click on the icon and click "Properties".  Note that the Launcher is named "Sims2Launcher.exe".  Next, click "Open File Location" -- that'll let you view the folder the the Launcher is in. That folder should contain another executable file that has the Sims icon and starts with "Sims2". That should be the executable file that the Launcher runs, when it's working.  Note the name of that file -- don't forget to add on the .exe ending because Windows will probably hide that from you.

Go back to the Properties box, and make sure the Target field is *not* highlighted. Go to the end of that field, and edit out Sims2Launcher -- leave the .exe ending. Make sure the cursor is positioned just before the dot in .exe , and type in the name of the executable file you found.  When you're sure it looks right, click OK.

If you want, tell me what your latest installed EP is, and I can probably tell you where the executable is and what it's named.

#3 DianeHanna

• 452 posts
  • LocationDesert Southwest USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

I had this happen recently, too.  'Bout scares you to death!  There is a very good article on the SimsWiki that tells what to do when there are game problems.  I'll hunt up the link.  In a nutshell though, the first thing to try is to delete your cache files, that's what I did first and was able to resume gameplay for awhile.  In my case, it kept on happening because my game is completely overloaded with custom content.  How did I tell?  I moved my downloads folder to another location (desktop) and the game started up correctly.  Now I am involved in a long process of deciding what cc to bring back and what I can do without.

It may just be that you have a certain item of cc that is causing the problems, probably one of the last ones you downloaded. Find it and delete it and you should be back in business.  

The cache files I mentioned are in the Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder and are called Groups.cache, Accessories.cache and cigen.package.  You may not have all, but delete the ones you do have.  The game will make new ones next time. 

http://simswiki.info...ete_Cache_Files

http://simswiki.info...lp:Game_Problem

I'm a bit unclear on the linking rules for this forum, so I can PM you if a Moderator needs to remove these.  Or you can google My Game won't start Sims 2 and it is one of the first results that gets returned.

“They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever .” ~ Oscar Wilde

#4 starknight75

Tragic Clown Catcher

• 563 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

I just opened the game after not playing for a while.  The Launcher did shut down, but not before I noticed that EA has added some new info in the space that used to be advertising things for Sims 2 (way back when).  I think I saw something for Sims 4, then Sims 3, before the whole thing stopped responding.  I opened it again, and this time instead of waiting for the lower pane to finish loading, I clicked on the button to launch the game.  The window closed, the cursor changed (to the CD and the arrow), and the game started.

#5 DianeHanna

• 452 posts
  • LocationDesert Southwest USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Starknight, I think you've got the right answer.  After I did the big download cleanup, I got the problem again.  I think like you said, if you click play soon enough you can stop it before it loads all the ad stuff from the internet.  Does dhardin's solution above eliminate this issue?

“They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever .” ~ Oscar Wilde

#6 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hi folks and thanks so much for the quick responses. What a relief to find some things that will work. I will respond in the order that you came in.

First dharden: I believe the latest EP is Apartment Life. I didn't buy them in the order they were issued but I have all but Pets. As I do with many of these Q&A posts I am going to print this when you get back so I will have it for future info. I try real hard not to come back with the same question.

Diane, you are so right dear. It was like all the fun went out of the room when that darn window popped up. But I didn't panic this time because I knew my friends were here and we would work it out. I did try removing the Downloads Folder but it didn't make any difference so I put it back. I do remember some discussion some time back about Cashe Files and I will delete those because they need to be anyway. Thanks for the reminder about Sims Wiki. I don't go there enough. Great site and good info.

Starknight, I too noticed some added verbage in the lower part of the launch box and like a dummy I'm trying to read it instead of clicking past it.

I will try all three suggestions as all can be very beneficial and further my understanding of the workings of this game. I have dabbled off and on with TS3 and everytime I do it convinces me that TS2 is still the best. Maxis left when they couldn't get anymore out of it and they need to stay away and leave it alone. Anyone interested in TS4 will find a way there. Thanks all for your help and I will post back as soon as I get something to work.

#7 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Starknight, I think you've got the right answer.  After I did the big download cleanup, I got the problem again.  I think like you said, if you click play soon enough you can stop it before it loads all the ad stuff from the internet.  Does dhardin's solution above eliminate this issue?

Yes, it does, since it bypasses the Launcher and thereby bypasses the Internet stuff.  

#8 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

First dharden: I believe the latest EP is Apartment Life. I didn't buy them in the order they were issued but I have all but Pets. As I do with many of these Q&A posts I am going to print this when you get back so I will have it for future info. I try real hard not to come back with the same question.

Then the file is named Sims2EP8.exe. If you have Mansion & Garden Stuff, it's Sims2EP9.exe .  The Target field in the icon shortcut's Properties box should point to the correct folder, so just replace Sims2Launcher.exe with the correct file name.

However, /if/ your game launches when you insert the disc, the Launcher will still appear then. It should be possible to disable AutoPlay, but how to do it may depend on which version of Windows you have.

#9 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Sorry dharden. I have been around the forums long enough to know that the more info you give the better people can help. I thought 3 or 4 times yesterday while typing the other posts that I need to give the OS info. I am running Windows 7 and if this makes any difference when I was running the game on XP the game required the Best Of Business collection disc to work. After I moved everything to the new computer with Windows 7 it required the University Life collection disc to play. No biggie to me and I didn't mention it here since everything seemed to be working fine. I have had very rare but occasional game crashes mainly when shutting down and never during actual game play or critical times. 

I have had Windows 7 for only a few months, Jan or Feb I believe, so I'm still feeling my way around the internal workings of this system so it may take me awhile to find my way to the files you are speaking of, but I will. If I don't post back for a couple of days it's because I'm working on it. One thing I learned from the old days on the old TS1 board is to always bring closure to an issue and not leave folks wondering if they helped or not. I often wonder where many of those folks are now as we had some wonderful times on the Original Sims board. It was always funny how we would try to skate the issue of no OT and how Ma Bear would eventually yell at us.

Thanks dharden. I will check back after while and see if having Windows 7 changes any of your suggestions.

#10 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

OK.... requiring the University Life collection disc to play may complicate things. I'm not quite sure how that would happen since you have Apartment Life. Hmmm.... I have H&M and K&B by way of Best of Business, but I still start with the FreeTime disc and icon. Even before I had FreeTime, I could start with the Seasons disc and icon, even though I already had Seasons installed when I got Best of Business. Then again, I didn't use Best of Business to install OFB. (Don't know if that makes a difference, just thinking out loud.)

I know the Launcher will show installed EPs and SPs. I *think* it can use that to sort out which executable to run -- at least it seemed to when I had H&M and K&B with Seasons as my latest EP. IIRC (which means I might not!) it's what tipped me off that I could still use the Seasons disc and icons. Anyway, if I'm right about that, your Launcher is (when it works) finding and launching this file (assuming that you don't have M&G):

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSBin\Sims2EP8.exe

There's a good chance that you should be able to start with the Apartment Life disc and icon; or with the Apartment Life disc and an icon that has that file as its Target, if you no longer have the Apartment Life icon. AFAIK, the worst that could happen is that it won't let you do it.

If you need to disable AutoPlay, this should do it. Select Default Programs from your Start Menu (Start—> All Programs—> Default Programs , according to info I can find about Win 7), one of the options should be "Change AutoPlay settings". Clicking that should take you to where you can control whether AutoPlay should be used for certain types of media or software. If the box labeled "Used AutoPlay for all media and devices" is checked. uncheck it, then make sure that the dropdown labeled "Software and Games" is set to "Take No Action", then Save. 

#11 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi folks. Well I got it to work finally by using the "Click Fast" method in the Launcher box. But if you hesitate then the other stuff starts popping up and it's useless.

Dharden, I truly appreciate your help and instructions. My biggest problem is that I'm not an adventuresome person when it comes to digging around in the computer files. It took me a few years before I felt really comfortable poking around in my XP system. Now with having Windows 7 for only a few months I'm again crawling before I walk. Anyway I was following your instructions, got lost a time or two and finally tried what Starknight and Diane did and just clicked on the play area of the Launcher as soon as it opened. It worked. For now. I have printed this whole thread and will continue to experiment with it without actually changing anything at this time. Also I once again left out one vital bit of info. I do have M&G and I think I'm missing only one Stuff Pack & Pets. 

Thanks all for your very valuable help.

#12 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Also I once again left out one vital bit of info. I do have M&G and I think I'm missing only one Stuff Pack & Pets. 

Then it's probably C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe

That's following the general format for path names; I suppose "and" might be spelled out. Since you don't have Pets, I'm assuming that you got M&G as a standalone, not through Fun with Pets. Again, you should be able to start wit the M&G disc and shortcut, but you would still have to bypass the Launcher or quick-click past it -- and if quick-clicking works, that's what counts in the end.

#13 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'm hearing reports that EA has actually fixed this. Has anyone noticed that? (I bypassed the Launcher years ago, so I can't check.)

#14 dmaddux0328

• 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

I tried bypassing the launcher and still cant get the game to open. any ideas? i'm starting to get really frustrated with it and i don't know much about computers 

#15 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

I tried bypassing the launcher and still cant get the game to open. any ideas? i'm starting to get really frustrated with it and i don't know much about computers 

_Exactly_ what did you do, and what do you have installed? In particular, do you have University Life Collection, Best of Business Collection, Fun with Pets Collection, or Double Deluxe? 

#16 dmaxc1024

Just Registered

• 168 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi dharden. I can report that as far as my game is concerned Maxis did apparently fix the Launcher. The window opens normally with the upper portion containing all the TS2 EP and Stuff Pack icons and the Play button. The lower portion where they placed their ads and promos is now a solid blue empty box. So for now it's working but I have all the instructions from the above posts in my TS2 binder. If I've learned anything over the years of playing Sims is that you never know what Maxis may do next. Once again thanks for your help with this issue.

To dmaddux, I know how frustrating it can be when this game throw you a curve. I too have limited knowledge about computers. But there are some very Knowledgeable folks here and they can help you figure it out. As dharden asked, list all EP's and Stuff Packs that you have installed and what system your running. XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc. Mainly don't give up as there is always a solution.

#17 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

If I've learned anything over the years of playing Sims is that you never know what Maxis may do next. 

*That* is truth and nothing else but!

#18 LadyGreenEyes649

• 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

Yes, you can bypass the Launcher in TS2, but you have to edit the shortcut that you use to start the game.  First, right-click on the icon and click "Properties".  Note that the Launcher is named "Sims2Launcher.exe".  Next, click "Open File Location" -- that'll let you view the folder the the Launcher is in. That folder should contain another executable file that has the Sims icon and starts with "Sims2". That should be the executable file that the Launcher runs, when it's working.  Note the name of that file -- don't forget to add on the .exe ending because Windows will probably hide that from you.

Go back to the Properties box, and make sure the Target field is *not* highlighted. Go to the end of that field, and edit out Sims2Launcher -- leave the .exe ending. Make sure the cursor is positioned just before the dot in .exe , and type in the name of the executable file you found.  When you're sure it looks right, click OK.

If you want, tell me what your latest installed EP is, and I can probably tell you where the executable is and what it's named.

Thank you!  This is the perfect solution.  Mine was working FINE last night, and with literally nothing added, and the cache cleared (which I regularly do), the blasted thing stopped working.  Just before the annoying Windows message pops up, I could see some nonsense in red/orange about my browser being "out of date" (it isn't). and BOOM - the launcher quit.  I can't fathom why EA thinks we needs ads in a game that is so old they barely support it any longer, but that has to be the issue.  Ah, well, this makes the whole process faster, anyway.  Many thanks; I couldn't recall how to do this, and lost the notes I had due to a HD crash.  You're a lifesaver! 

#19 dharden

Social Bunny

• 1,455 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

@LadyGreenEyes649: You mean they went and broke it *again*?

As for the "browser out of date" message, it doesn't have anything to do with your browser. The part of the Launcher that displayed ads, promos, etc. functions as a mini-browser. Since it dates back to Bon Voyage, which came out in 2007, whatever its based on probably /is/ out of date by current standards.

#20 Deadly_Angel128

• 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

hi ive read alot of everyones responses but for some reason my game still wont work i tried to look in properties and it doesnt give me and option to look for the location or whatever. but ill start from the begining. ive had the game sense i was 16. i decided to get "oldschool" and pop in the sims 2 (after about 6 years sense the last time i played it) well it installed correctly but as soon as i click the desktop icon and it goes to load the launcher it will only load the top part that says play, then below it is says my browser it outdated, and then a screen pops up saying there was an error and to send error report. ive called EA games and the person i talked to said that sense the sims 2 is such an old game they no longer support it so the guy had no idea on how to help me and pointed me to this forum. im very frustrated as i have tried everything. im running on windows xp, i have both mozilla and internet explorer and all are up to date, ive unistalled and reinstalled it, cleared basically everything out of my computer and still nothing :/. if someone could please give me some simple step by step instructions on what to do id appreciate it.( im not very tech smart so you might have to dumb it down for me XP)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users