Question about making counters

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 SimPeopleRampage

Simmer

• 142 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Bet you thought you were done hearing from me, didn't you? Well, too bad, cuz I've got another problem. :/ 

For some reason the countertop over the dishwasher is blurry. It looks great in CAS but as soon as I'm done it goes back to blurry. This is an EA countertop, too, so I can't imagine what the problem is. The last time I encountered this issue it was with a sculpture I was converting that had originally been cloned from something much, much smaller. This isn't the same. Also, the sink cutout is borked. Should I alter the mesh? Bring the front of it out a little? Here's a screenshot:

http://s1219.photobu...shot-8.jpg.html

#22 SimPeopleRampage

Simmer

• 142 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED! 

Here's what I did in case other people have the same problems I did: I moved the front of the cabinet forward so that it lined up with an EA cabinet and now the weird cutout on the front is gone. Originally I was using a 512 wide by 1024 high texture -- multiplier, specular, overlay, everything -- though the original counter I cloned was using 512 x 512 textures. So, I made sure to keep all my textures the same size as the cloned counter (512 x 512), and I was extremely careful to keep the countertop uv map exactly the way I found it. I just built the rest of the uv map around the countertop's existing map. Keeping the texture sizes consistent with the cloned counter's textures fixed the blurry problem. As for TSR Workshop wanting to place my overlays in presets I didn't want them in, I solved that by using the stencil section and making sure to disable the stencils I wasn't using in each preset. And I kept the number of presets to just four since there are only four stencils. I don't know if this was necessary, but I thought it best. 

I can now honestly say that I am done with this cursed project. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I can say I learned a lot, so I guess it was worth it after all. :D 

Thank you for all your help, Sim_Man123! 

#23 sim_man123

Simmer

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Sink overlays project straight down through everything - countertop, cabinet, etc. As you see, yes, you have to make sure the front of the counter has enough clearance to escape that.  :ph34r:  I vaguley remember there being a setting somewhere to change the "mask size" that would tell the game, "hey, this is how big my textures are!" to prevent that blurriness. I thought it was automatic  :huh:  I've never tried using significant overlays, or overlays as main textures so I don't have much experience with overlay vs stencil - but I'm glad that you figured it out! Now just wait a few months - you're going to get the thought that maybe you might want to make a kitchen again, and you're going to be smacking yourself for even having such thoughts, and then you'll do it anyways  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users