Photo
- - - - -

making expansion items base game compatible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wonderfreak

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

t wondering how to do this? I would only use them in my game, i am not planning on redistributing! I only ask because i like some of the furniture and hairstyles from supernatural but plan on not using that expansion for a while. I have the sims resource workshop but I'm not sure how to export and save. Like, step by step because i don't know what I'm doing, haha!

#2 sim_man123

Simmer

• 4,610 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Workshop doesn't read/flag items for EPs - the only way to do that would be to clone the Supernatural item, export all of the parts, clone a base game item, and then reimport all of the parts and remake the item. However, note that items with special functions from Supernatural, you can't copy and special functions over to the base game. For example, the rocking chair. If that were one of the items you wanted, since the rocking animation is only in Supernatural, you would have to remake the rocking chair as a regular chair. (EA's method of fighting unauthorized distribution - otherwise people could clone EP items, offer them for download, and people wouldn't need to buy the expansion)

If you've never really used Workshop before and don't know how to create items, it's going to be a bit more difficult since you don't know what you're working with or what you're looking for, or what is needed to recreate a fully functioning item. 

The basic method would be to clone the EP item you want, export all of the meshes as .WSO files, and export all of the texture images and patterns as well. Then clone a similar item from the base game, and import in all of the meshes, textures, and patterns and get the variations set to match the original. Depdending on the item, there may be more steps - I.E. for lights you would have to readjust the light sources to match, for a mirror you would have to adjust the mirror plane for the reflection, on items changing sizes, you would have to adjust the footprints, on some tables/surfaces you might have to adjust the slots, etc, etc - there are lots of different things you might or might not have to do depending on what the item in question is. 

I believe hair would be a little bit easier in this aspect, as you would just have to move the meshes and textures from one clone to another, but it's been so long since I've done hair that I don't entirely remember what all was involved. 

#3 wonderfreak

• 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Thank you for that :) i will give it a go later on
I understand EA's making it impossible to do this. This is one reason I'm hesitant, i don't want to violate their policies :/
It was actually a rocking chair that i wanted, as well as one of the wardrobe. I have found custom content rocking chairs that i might use instead though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users