• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlelamb

Trashcan Kicker

• 541 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

Hi All

I do not know where else to go for the information and help I need and everyone here has been a great help to me in the past. I have found no solutions on the internet.

It has been a while since ai downloaded any file relating to Sims3 from this site so I can not remember if they should open as package file when I am using WinRAR,

I have downloaded a few, they all come in as Pack files and I do not get the option to open them in WinRAR even if I select the program.

All files from Sims 4 download as Packages. I can also extract Sims 3 files from MTS using WinRAR

T thought that my WinRAR file may be the problem but uninstalling and reinstalling did not change anything concerning the Sims 3 files.

Can someone please help me

Thankyou

#2 sim_man123

Simmer

• 4,547 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

First off, we need to clarify: .package or .sims3pack? The two formats are very different and are installed in entirely different ways.

For The Sims 3:

If the files are .package, it does not matter what you have told you computer to open them with, because you don't have to open .package files. Using .package files with TS3 requires the mod framework from MTS, and once that is installed, it creates a Mods\Packages folder within in your game files in which you place .package files.

If the files are instead sims3pack, and you have those set to open with WinRAR, that isn't a big problem, but certainly inconvenient. Sims3Pack files can be installed in two ways - the first, is to double click on them to open them, and they self-install. (However, if you've told them to open with WinRAR, this functionality will not work.) The second method is to place them into Downloads folder in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads. Once the sims3pack files are placed in here, you can open the launcher, and it will display a list of everything you have in your Downloads folder that needs to be installed, and will give you the option to check them off and install :)

If they are sims3pack files set to open with WinRAR, I can provide instructions on how to relink them to the Launcher instead of WinRAR, but I don't want to put too much information and confuse anyone if it's not needed.

For The Sims 4:

.Package files again don't have to be opened, so it doesn't matter what they are set to open with. You just drop them into your Mods folder and the game will read them when it launches, there is nothing for you to open or install. Just make sure that if you get something that is .zip or .rar, it needs to be extracted first. If you downloaded an object/hair/clothing/etc then it will be .package format and it goes into Mods. If you download a sim or a house/lot, you'll get a zip that instead contains a bunch of other random files, and those go into Tray. The game does not read CC from .zip or .rar files.

#3 littlelamb

Trashcan Kicker

• 541 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Thank you

#4 littlelamb

Trashcan Kicker

• 541 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

The only way I can get them to open is by using a Sims Pack Multi Installer Program which is opening the Packs as Packages like I want, so I can place them in my Mods/Packages folder,

Everything I download from TSR is coming in as Sims 3 Packs.

Again thanks for trying to help me.

#5 sim_man123

Simmer

• 4,547 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

So you want to convert the .Sims3Pack files to .Package? You have the correct program for it - just be careful. As a creator, I advise everyone to install content in the format that it was originally provided to you in. If I make something as a .sims3pack, I'm going to test it in the game as a sims3pack, and I'm going to share it knowing that it is properly functioning as sims3pack. If you convert something to .package that was originally sims3pack, there is a chance that it will no longer work correctly - I.E. someone recently just went through this problem with kitchen counters converted to .package. If the creator gives you a working file, and you end up trying to convert it and it breaks, you're usually on your own - there is nothing the original creator can do at that point to fix it other than telling you to redownload the working version. 

To reset your Sims3Pack files to open with the Launcher:

Find a Sims3Pack file - make sure that it is in fact sims3pack, and NOT .package. Once you have a Sims3Pack file, right click on it, and choose "Open With..." In the menu that comes up, even if you see Sims 3 Launcher as an option, ignore it and click on "Choose Another App." In the window that comes up, you may (or may not) see Sims 3 Launcher as an option. If it is there, make sure the box to "always open this type of file" is checked, choose the Launcher, and click okay. This will tell your computer to always use the Launcher to open sims3pack files. 

If you do NOT see the launcher as an option, after clicking on "Choose Another App" there should be a browse button in the window that comes up. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\ and then select the .exe for Sims3Launcher. Again, make sure the option to "always open" is checked. Lastly, note that if you installed the game on a different hard drive, the path I posted will have a different drive letter instead of C:\.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users